Alternative access to My Cloud Home

Hi guys. I am after some assistance with this situation.

I have today bought a 4TB My Cloud Home to use as a NAS drive. Previously, I have been using a USB hard drive attached to the USB port on my router and using SMB to create a share. However, SMB1 (the only protocol supported by my router) is insecure so I wanted a more secure solution. I used the NAS drive to store my music, photos, videos and used as a general backup/dump for my files. I use Nova Player on an Android TV to watch the videos on a tv using SMB.

However, despite my best efforts to research the My Cloud Home, it is now appearing to not do what I want to do. It appears that the only way that I can connect to it is to install an app which I don’t really want to have to do.

Can anyone recommend any solutions on alternative methods of access to the drive? Ideally, I would like to be able to access the drive on Windows explorer on devices which don’t have the app, as well as on Android apps such as Kodi/Nova/Archos Player.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Joe

Hi,

Media Serving on the My Cloud Home platform is powered by Plex:

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/7181

Thank you for that. I had been keen to avoid using Plex as I actually have a Plex Server with a DVR connected.

I did spend sometime with a very helpful guy from WD who was able to talk me through how to access the drive. What I had not appreciated is that if you access the drive via it’s IP address, you get a different folder to the Cloud folder.