Almost Painless

So “My Cloud” was locked in a conumdrum; either upgrade, keep it as a shelf decoration, use it as a paperweight, use it as an old fashion NAS or sell it and go Qnap…

I looked at the price of a Qnap and the starting price were around $700 with drives.

I looked at the price of another brand new 4TB Cloud and here in Canada with the lower Dollar conversion, the price comes out at around $300.

Since I really could not afford any of the changes, I was almost resigned to keep the cloud as a local Nas Drive until I decided to check on Craigslist.

Serendipity…

someone was selling a 4TB Cloud almost new. Seems to be the typical story that the guy got it as a gift and it has been sitting on his desk unused. Brand new he says and he only tried it a couple of times and found that he had no use for it. Selling for $180. 

Offered and got it for $160… was thinking $140…

Came home, plugged it in… blue light… mapped and accessed

It was at firmware 4.00.00-607

click on upgrade… and waited with baited breath…

10%…

jumps to 60%

70%… for a long time

rebooting for a long time

blue light…

white Cloud panels…

create a new user id

yup… loaded my iphone Cloud App and signed on…

yup… I’m sitting here looking at it, with a very surprised face.

So… it wasn’t as bad as the first time I upgraded… but there are no scans running because there are no files in it.  

However I do intend to play with it, then proceed to copy all my files over from the other Cloud, then upgrade the other one.

So I wish to say to WD… 

I forgive you, especially you Bill_s…

I bet you didn’t use the automatic setup s/w though, did you? I bet you used all your accumulated Dashboard experience and had the thing configured within ten minutes. That was my experience with my second (also ‘as new’, discounted) drive.

4TB for $160? Nice…

1 Like

cpt_paranoia wrote:

I bet you didn’t use the automatic setup s/w though, did you? I bet you used all your accumulated Dashboard experience and had the thing configured within ten minutes. That was my experience with my second (also ‘as new’, discounted) drive.

4TB for $160? Nice…

actually I spent many many minutes trying to delete the other user to find that I couldn’t :stuck_out_tongue: The top user is the drive primary user. You can changed the name, email and password, but you cannot delete it.

but yeah… I was glad that the 4TB drive turned out to be legit (was afraid it may have been one of those clones made in China).

I’m actually really really happy right now… but still frustrated at WD for their convoluted system. 

I saw there was still user data on mine (bought from a major UK department store…), so hit factory restore straight away.

1 Like

Part II

So I spent the last 2 days mirroring one cloud to another even though I have a another full copy on a USB 3 My Book. I figure if my upgrade failed, my new cloud will take over as my primary cloud while my old cloud gets an RMA.

I hit the upgrade button on my old cloud upgrading from 3.04 from last year same month October to the new OS 3 or 4.04.00-308.

18 minutes later… and it was all done…and the white light gave way to the warm blue light indicating that it survived, but I could hear the media scan labouring beneath the poor dual 600mhz cpus and the Dashboard was devoid of data; all statuses were blank.

I could barely sign on to type

/etc/init.d/wdmcserverd stop

/etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd stop

I had issue Photodbmergerd stop twice…

Then all was quiet. both clouds has made it to the latest firmware.

And that’s good, right…?

cpt_paranoia wrote:

And that’s good, right…?

and that’s good cpt_paranoia

and I have two Cloud drives (meaning that I can always test the next firmware on one before upgrading the other) :stuck_out_tongue: