All right, WD -- let's get this thing fixed

I dutifully upgraded my firmware, and now my device is totally unresponsive.  Can’t open dashboard, can’t find device on network.  Nada, zilch, nothing.

Before the FW upgrade, my device worked perfectly.  No muss, no fuss.  But after the upgrade, my system (W 8.1) can’t even find my MyCloud.

So – I blame this all on the FW upgrade, and I pose the question to WD:

WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT IT … AND WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO DO IT?

Hi,

Have you tried resetting the device after the update?

Did you have any third party modifications on the unit?

How to reset a WD My Cloud, Mirror, EX2, or EX4 Personal Cloud drive
http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/10432/session/L3RpbWUvMTQwNTI2NjA3Ni9zaWQvaUE0RUZiWmw%3D

You get no kudos from me from what I consider a condescending response.

Hello!  It’s a firmware upgrade, and there’s no reason at all for me to have to reset my device.

And no, I haven’t tweaked with my MyCloud at all.  I paid my money, I purchased a product, it worked fine, and then the manuacturer fiddled around with the firmware and put me out of business.  I don’t think that I should even think about a reset.

The drive is still under warranty.  Here’s my reset.  I’ll take it back to where I bought it, and get my money back.

Sorry about that. …

This is just a taste of what happens with cheap IT labor farmed off to other countries

Tiger66 wrote:

You get no kudos from me from what I consider a condescending response.

Hello!  It’s a firmware upgrade, and there’s no reason at all for me to have to reset my device.

And no, I haven’t tweaked with my MyCloud at all.  I paid my money, I purchased a product, it worked fine, and then the manuacturer fiddled around with the firmware and put me out of business.  I don’t think that I should even think about a reset.

The drive is still under warranty.  Here’s my reset.  I’ll take it back to where I bought it, and get my money back.

Sorry about that. …

You have to admit, that does kinda sum things up…!!

1 Like

Hello WD Help4All –

I just got off the phone talking with a very nice man from WD support.  He sent me an email yesterday (presumably because of this post) and we scheduled a phone call.  He called me at the number I supplied and the time I provided.

The support person held my hand while we tried to reset, using the hardware reset process (paper clip on back of drive).   My device just sat there and looked at us (an occasional blink, but not much else).  I even tried unplugging and then repowering.  I can’t access the dashboard.

End result??  The folks at WD will send me a new drive and set up a time when we can talk on the phone so they can help me set it up.  Then I will send the old one back in same packaging.

Thank goodness I have a Safepoint backup of my drive.  Anyone who uses this device would be well served to use a surplus USB hard drive to back up the MyCloud drive for just this kind of situation.

Am I pleased that I will have to go through all of thse hoops becasue of a flippin’ firmware upgrade?  No.  But WD is doing what it reasonably can to resolve the problem and make me whole again.  I can’t complain; this is good, PRO-ACTIVE customer service.

So I say thanks to the people at WD and I do offer up my humble kudos to them for their efforts on my behalf.

Is the light on the front of your My Cloud blue or does your My Cloud even work, you said it is unresponsive?

Is your device connected to your router, your computer, or your computer by Wi-Fi?

If it is connected to your router unplug the power to your router at the router for one minute then plug it back in, wait for everything to reset and see what shows on your network and computer.

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

I reset a lot of times!!! Its toooooo slow. For save a worddocument (1 page) one minute!!!

Its useless after firmareupdate.

Help!!!

Best regards from Germany!

i think i’m in the same boat now… everything tells me that my drive is there, lights are on, whirs away to itself but nothing can touch it, either on the network or via usb. more than annoyed really. i raised a ticket and received little more than have you tried turning it off and on… v unhappy… i worked fine for 3 months then just wasnt there… grrr