ALL OF MY Cloud Problems Solved!

Hi everyone,

I only registred to thank all contributors for they efforts to get WD My Cloud working and to share my experience in resolving all my problems.

I purchased the device just for backups and for remote access via ftp. At the initial setup my device updated to FW4. I had initial speeds of 50MB/s (write) and 70MB/s (read) on an WIN7-machine connected via GBit-LAN. After filling the device with roughly 1,5TB of data (40k photos, some videos, lots of documents) the performance went terribly down, down to 200KB/s read and write - unusable. The indexing wouldn’t stop for days and weeks.

Here’s what I did:

• I downgraded the FW to version 3 like described here.
  • I stop all services via WebUI, exept ftp and ssh.
  • Via ssh I stopped all indexing services like described here (“workaround”).
  • I erased all hidden folders and files created by indexing services like describe here (post 6).

Well, that did the job. Now I achieved speeds of 30MB/s (write) and 50MB/s (read) and the device goes to standby. Well enough for my purposes, but not stellar.

A couple of days ago I decided to upgrade my OS to WIN8. And now the big surprise: I get speeds of 60-70MB/s (write) and 95-105MB/s (read)!

As I am a conservative guy I would say that’s it. Never touch it again. I have seen that as of today there is a new firmware upgrade. I think I will skip it, it can’t get any better.

There’s still one thing I would like to try and that’s installing pyloud. The void of warranty is not my concern, but I don’t want to sacrifice the actual performance of my device. Does anyone know how pyload influences the general performance?

So, thanks again to everybody and good luck!

2 Likes