Thanks for your feedback. Here are my answers:
1) Type of AE? Not sure how these are classified but I bought it 2007ish and it was the N wireless protocol.
2) Firmware version of AE? 7.6
3) Firmware version of MBL? 02.10.09-124
4) Have I tried to access MBL via http://? Yes, although I only get a blank page in Safari I also tried Go Connect Server through the Finder menu and interestingly it seems to communicate with the MBL and it asks me for my password but when I put in the password (or go in as a guest) I get an error message saying the "There was a problem connecting to the server . Check server name or IP address and try again. If you continue to have problems, contact your system administrator." So it doesn't let me go any further than entering my password.
A couple furthers bits of info that may help:
1) looking in the sys log for the AE it appears that the MBL is communicating to the AE. I get the message Severity 5: SMB/CIFS login OK from O%@
2) When I use the Connect Server function in Finder and then drop down the list of recent servers it list MBL as two different options, (a) an option for MBL (name) which when clicked has an afp://MyBookLive._afpovertcp._tcp.local and (b) an option for the IP address which has a corresspoing entry of http://.
Am I right that some communication is getting through to the MBL attached to my AE? What is the AE doing to block the rest of the communciation?
Thanks for your help!