After Update to Mac OS 10.12 Drive Mounts as USB 2.0 Only

When I first started using my My Passport Wireless Pro drive, I originally tried replacing the cable with a shorter cable that supported USB 3.0. In spite of this it would mount the drive as USB 2.0 only. At that time the only fix was to use the original cable it came with.

Since updating to Mac OS 10.12 (Sierra) It now doesn’t matter weather or not I use the original cable, it will ONLY mount as a USB 2.0 Drive…

Have you been able to confirm if this issue is related to your particular system? If so, you may need to double-check your system’s USB 3.0 drivers. if other USB 3.0 systems have the same issue with your device then it should be replaced under warranty.

I have a mac so there is no way for me to ‘check’ my USB 3.0 Drivers…

They are built in to the OS, have been for a very long time, and there is no place in the system to go that will allow me to check, remove, change, or update the drivers.

I have an external WD USB 3.0 “Normal” Drive that experienced the same cable issue that the My Passport Wireless Pro did prior to the OS update… That is to say using any cable OTHER than the one the drive came with causes the drive to be recognized as USB 2.0… I have reproduced the issue with multiple brands of cables, ALL of which have no issue when connected to a normal Seagate drive or a Seagate Wireless Plus drive.

After the Mac OS 10.12 update the normal WD Drive will still be recognized as USB 3.0 with the cable that came with it (but not any other cable)…

I will also state that I have a MacBook, so I am required to use a USB C hub/adapter to connect the drive to my computer… That being said, the only device I have this problem with is the “My Passport Wireless Pro” drive… Every other device, including a number of portable and desktop drives of various brands all work without issue…

When I connect this device to an older Mac Mini it mounts as USB 3.0…

It effectively appears the drive simply won’t play nice when using a USB C adapter, and only when running Mac OS 10.12.