After installing the latest firmware 1.04.17 my wireless usb network adapter no longer works

parnott100 wrote:

No offence intended but you are talking about a router not a usb wifi adaptor.

no offence taken:wink:

Nevertheless,

First, I was  in fact talking of d-link wireless N usb adapter, model N300.  Look   here

Second: It is on the list.

So, I shoudn’t be having any issues neither initially nor after the upgrade.

As I said in my previous post network with my newly purchased D-Link WiFi dongle  worked just fine before the upgrade, stopped working after the upgrade and all I did was:

read all the related treads here, found the link to rollback files, downgraded and then upgraded to 1.04.10_B.  I didn’t ask any questions and just shared my own experience hoping that might help others to resolve issues similar to mine, as I saw a lot of people got upset.

randomgul wrote:

parnott100 wrote:

No offence intended but you are talking about a router not a usb wifi adaptor.

no offence taken:wink:

Nevertheless,

First, I was  in fact talking of d-link wireless N usb adapter, model N300.  Look   here

Second: It is on the list.

So, I shoudn’t be having any issues neither initially nor after the upgrade.

As I said in my previous post network with my newly purchased D-Link WiFi dongle  worked just fine before the upgrade, stopped working after the upgrade and all I did was:

read all the related treads here, found the link to rollback files, downgraded and then upgraded to 1.04.10_B.  I didn’t ask any questions and just shared my own experience hoping that might help others to resolve issues similar to mine, as I saw a lot of people got upset.

No offence but your link takes us to a D-Link DWA-130 adpator not a model N300, plus I can’t find a DWA-130 on the approved list.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3805

FYI. There is a post over on the PlayOn forum where the poster claims to know what the problem is and how to fix it.

http://www.playon.tv/forum/help/general-technical-issues/does-playon-work-wdtv-live#comment-24294

I ditched wireless way back so have not tried it.

Yeah, it says “Update the firmware,” which is correct.  ;)

Man oh man…[deleted] testing did WD do before releasing the .17 update? any?

First the wireless not working issue, now I see folks are having trouble connecting to their NAS boxes…

Guess I’ll be staying at .10 for a long time.

TonyPh12345 wrote:

Yeah, it says “Update the firmware,” which is correct.  ;)

Well I meant the last post about fixing the WiFi problem. I wasn’t very clear.

Same problem here.

NICE JOB F. WD !!!

We will never forget.

Is any solution, how to make usb wireless working again ?

General Info:
We have temporarily blocked USB mounting of Advanced Format (4k sector) HDD greater than 2TBs.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_liveplus

No offence but your link takes us to a D-Link DWA-130 adpator not a model N300, plus I can’t find a DWA-130 on the approved list.

no offence,  but what’s your point? is it my fault that d-link doesn’t keep their web site content up to date? they do have  N300 modification. May that help to clear your doubts ? :stuck_out_tongue: I wouldn’t bother further but that might help others to chose a WD compatible dongle (not after 1.04.17_B upgrade though :wink:)

DWA 131 is  the same; it’s just a miniature  version of dwa 130. I am not buying dwa 131 just to prove that it would became unrecognizible after .17_B upgrade; besides it doesn’t have N300 modification and all its advantages;

agan,  it worked just fine before the upgrade

randomgul wrote:

no offence,  but what’s your point? is it my fault that d-link doesn’t keep their web site content up to date? they do have  N300 modification. May that help to clear your doubts ? :stuck_out_tongue: I wouldn’t bother further but that might help others to chose a WD compatible dongle (not after 1.04.17_B upgrade though :wink:)

DWA 131 is  the same; it’s just a miniature  version of dwa 130. I am not buying dwa 131 just to prove that it would became unrecognizible after .17_B upgrade; besides it doesn’t have N300 modification and all its advantages;

agan,  it worked just fine before the upgrade

My point is that you have a DWA-130 which is not on the approved list therefore its not guaranteed to work. Again the youtube video that you point to also says its a DWA-130. It may also be labelled N300 but so are many N adaptors / equipment.

You have however made your point that an unapproved adaptor that used to work with WDTV no longer does after the recent firmware upgrade. Thanks for the info.

Wow, lotta arrogant answers here.  Randomgul spends the time to post her expreience and how she fixed it, then gets raked over the coals and told she doesn’t even know what adapter she has.

Her original post was perfectly clear to me; had I wondered about her N300 adapter and found the link wrong, I’d probably google it; which apparently someone did, read the first hit and declared she was an ■■■■■ because it was a router, not a USB wifi adapter.  Never mind looking at the other hits that indeed show a dlink USB wifi adapter.  Here she’s being implied as an ■■■■■ for thinking her router is a USB wifi dongle, by someone who jumps to conclusions based on the first hit google produces, never mind looking down the page, or giving someone the benefit of the doubt.

Then someone else chimes in with a “you don’t have a N300 because your link went to a Porsche Boxster, which is not on the approved list”, or some other ridiculous comment.

Obviously this last firmware update should not have been released; some might feel it’s fine if “all you have to do is start over, reset everything, reestablish all your connections and passwords, update the firmware on all your other devices that are within 50 feet of the WD, and you’re good to go”.  Not everyone has the ability, time, or the inclination to tinker with something that’s supposed to work.  I can handle the relese of the buggy firmware…that stuff happens; bu t the replies to Randomgul’s post, which wasn’t even asking for help, just giving expreience that may help someone else is ridiculous.

I looked in here to see if there was any reason to not let my WD update, and I see there is.  But remember, it requests updating on its own, so before you call someone an ■■■■■, take a little time to make sure your’e not making yourself fit the description.

I had the same issue.  Rolledback to 1.03.49_B w/out a problem.  My wireless device connected fine.  I’m able to use Netflix etc, but now my issue is I cannot connect to my netwrok shares, or even update to 1.04.10_B firmware…when prompted, I get an error stating ‘New firmware download failed due to incomplete firmware download.  Please check your network connection and try again.’   Any suggestions?  Thanks :slight_smile:

Flyinby wrote:

Wow, lotta arrogant answers here.  Randomgul spends the time to post her expreience and how she fixed it, then gets raked over the coals and told she doesn’t even know what adapter she has.

Her original post was perfectly clear to me; had I wondered about her N300 adapter and found the link wrong, I’d probably google it; which apparently someone did, read the first hit and declared she was an ■■■■■ because it was a router, not a USB wifi adapter.  Never mind looking at the other hits that indeed show a dlink USB wifi adapter.  Here she’s being implied as an ■■■■■ for thinking her router is a USB wifi dongle, by someone who jumps to conclusions based on the first hit google produces, never mind looking down the page, or giving someone the benefit of the doubt.

Then someone else chimes in with a “you don’t have a N300 because your link went to a Porsche Boxster, which is not on the approved list”, or some other ridiculous comment.

Obviously this last firmware update should not have been released; some might feel it’s fine if “all you have to do is start over, reset everything, reestablish all your connections and passwords, update the firmware on all your other devices that are within 50 feet of the WD, and you’re good to go”.  Not everyone has the ability, time, or the inclination to tinker with something that’s supposed to work.  I can handle the relese of the buggy firmware…that stuff happens; bu t the replies to Randomgul’s post, which wasn’t even asking for help, just giving expreience that may help someone else is ridiculous.

I looked in here to see if there was any reason to not let my WD update, and I see there is.  But remember, it requests updating on its own, so before you call someone an ■■■■■, take a little time to make sure your’e not making yourself fit the description.

If you are referring to my posts in this dialogue then you had better read them. I have never implied that the OP was an ■■■■■. All the OP posts have had links which shows without doubt that they have a D-Link DWA-130 USB adaptor. That adaptor is not on the approved list therefore it is not supposed to work.

parnott100 identified my problem exactly when he referred to the following post on the Playon forum:

“I forgot to make mention that the latest firmware updates put the wireless adapters into a power save mode where it turns them off after the unit boots up. So u must go to network settings select wireless scan for your network then back out and choose ur network from the favorites screen and somehow it manages to keep the wireless adapter on. Strange way of doing things but it works very smoothly after that.”

My wireless USB adapter is the Netgear WNDA3100 v1 which uses the Atheros AR9001U-(2)NG chipset (also referred to as the AR9170).  It worked great under firmware version 1_02_21 but  started going into power save mode after boot up with firmware versions 1_04_10 and 1_04_17.  After I power on my WD TV Live the wireless USB adapter  led flashes a few times and then goes out .  I have no network access until I do the following:

Select “Settings”, select “Network settings”, select “Network setup”, select “Wireless”, select “Preferences” (note that at this point the LED light on my adapter lights up and starts flashing), select my network’s SSID from the list of wireless networks that are close to me (sometimes the list shows signals and sometimes it shows no signals which is probably just a timing issue since the wireless USB adapter is now on and flashing), select “Automatic” for the connection mode (the wireless USB adapter LED keeps flashing for a second and then goes solid on), select “OK” from the Network setup completed  screen with the big green checkmark.   My network connection works great until I power down and power up my WD TV Live and then I have to go through this network setup procedure again.  I have tried resetting to factory defaults and unplugging the box multiple times to no avail.  Please HELP.  I would gladly purchase a different adapter if someone can identify a model that will definitely work.  It appears that most of the approved adapters use an Ralink RT2870 or Ralink RT3070 chipset.  Should I try an adapter based one of those chipsets?  My other option is a bridged router which is a more complicated setup but I’m willing to go that route if it improves reliability and simplifies use for my non-technical family members.

Thanks

OldTechGuy wrote:

It appears that most of the approved adapters use an Ralink RT2870 or Ralink RT3070 chipset.  Should I try an adapter based one of those chipsets?  My other option is a bridged router which is a more complicated setup but I’m willing to go that route if it improves reliability and simplifies use for my non-technical family members.

Thanks

Try looking through this list I found with a google-  http://www.wikidevi.com/wiki/WDTV_Live_Supported_Adapters

I don’t know how accurate it is but it appears most of the tested/supported Wifi adaptors use Ralink chipsets. A few Realtek and Atheros. As you are having problems with an Atheros chipset then those entries may not be accurate or are outdated and I would not consider those devices.

Your other option is a Wifi extender that has an ethernet connection. Most of the major manufacturers produce them, sometimes called game adaptors. You plug the ethernet side into the WDTV and configure the Wifi side to communicate with your base station. That way you don’t have to worry about chipset compatibility with the WDTV, it just thinks it is working over a wired connection.

Another alternative are Powerline adaptors. They are sometimes reliable sometimes not. Depends upon the electricty wiring in your house. They are not cheap, but if you go this route make sure you get they very latest  high-speed versions. WD sell the WD Livewire, but Netgear, D-link and others also have similar products.

parnott100, thanks for the quick response.  I have tried powerline adapters with limited success due to the age of my house’s wiring.  I checked on some wifi extenders/game adapters and they cost more than a full blown wireless router with bridging capabilites and multiple ports.  I decided to go with another USB adapter based on the Ralink RT3070 chipset as you suggested.  I ordered the  AZiO AWU101N which is on the WD approved list and the Wikidev.com list you provided a link to.  Newegg had the AZIO on sale for $14.99 delivered.  In the mean time I went ahead and loaded the B-Rad firmware which is based on the version 1_02_21 firmware and as such properly supports my Netgear WNDA3100 adapter.  When the AZIO arrives I will try the firmware upgrade again.  Thanks for your help. :slight_smile:

The same thing is happening to me!  Is there a link I can follow for the 1.03.49 ver?

What model USB network adapter are you using???

erincarter wrote:

The same thing is happening to me!  Is there a link I can follow for the 1.03.49 ver?

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=5800

I’m glad you guys are having the same problem I am.  I have a DWA -131

My Media Player arrived a few days after Christmas.  I had to return my first one and ended up losing quite a bit of cash on returning it.  I get it working for a couple of days, now it doesn’t work again.  While the fix is relatively easy, this is nonetheless frustrating.

I can’t wait to find out what goes wrong next.

But when it was working, I was loving it.