After deleting share, ssh folder still exists, space not freed

Hello all,

I recently deleted a time machine backup share containing a corrupt backup. After a few days I noticed that the 600-700gb had not freed up on my My Cloud Mirror.

After sshing into the device I notice that the folder, including the backup file is still to be found at /shares/Volume_1/TimeMachineBackup

The original ‘TimeMachineBackup’ share is not accessible or visible at /shares.

So the question is:

1. What is the Volume_1? it seems to contain folders for all shares, including lost+found and Nas_Prog
  2. Can I safely delete /shares/Volume_1/TimeMachineBackup ?

Thanks for any help

My Cloud Mirror 6TB
RAID 1
Firmware 2.11.178

Update – tried to delete the contents of the TimeMachineBackup folder using -rm, left the shell over night, nothing seemed to happen. Checked after and this is the result:

root@? HD_a2 # pwd
/shares/Volume_1
root@? HD_a2 # du -h TimeMachineBackup
608G TimeMachineBackup/li’sa.sparsebundle/bands
608G TimeMachineBackup/li’sa.sparsebundle
608G TimeMachineBackup

So it seems I cannot delete these files/ folders even if I try manually – My guess is that the mycloud simply deleted the share and moved the contents to ‘Volume_1’, but how do I get rid of it?

Thanks for any help!

Final reply I promise :slight_smile: Perhaps this can help someone else…

I decided to recreate the original share, and lo and behold, the data magically reappeared in the share. Surely this is an error in the firmware that just renames the share when it should be deleting the share and its contents?

Once I had attained that it was in fact the correct data, I went about deleting the sparsebundle. Unfortunately sparsebundles are notoriously hard to delete - finder isn’t even worth trying, fails eventually - terminal doesn’t seem to be able to do much - eventually I resorted to using an iPhone app called File Browser Go which neatly and without fuss deletes every little file in the sparse bundle one after the other. Took about 40minutes and freed up 600gb.