Advice please

Just ordered Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s. I have in the system an old Raptor WD740ADFD 74GB 10000 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 1.5Gb/s. What is my best option for configuration on this? I guess Raid 0 is out…my understanding is that I would waste a ton of space that way. Which drive should the OS go on? Which drive should apps go on? Which drive should the swap file go on? Those sorts of thing. Ideas?

Your best  setup here will be : 

The Raptor as the main/master drive. There you will install only the OS, this will guarantee a fast boot and smooth running of your OS.

The Caviar Black as secondary/slave drive. For storage.

Thank you for that.

So, apps and storage on the large drive, OS on the Raptor. Here’s another question then. How is cache utilized when you have two drives like that? Does everything use all the cache as combined? Or would the OS use the cache on it’s drive, and the apps use the cache on the apps./storage drive?

And then, you’re thinking the Raptor is still gonna be the faster drive, regardless of a larger cache on the other drive? Also, how much difference is the 1.5/s on the Raptor compared to the 6/s on the Black? Raptor still the faster drive?

Sorry for all the questions. And thanks again.

How is cache utilized when you have two drives like that? Does everything use all the cache as combined? Or would the OS use the cache on it’s drive, and the apps use the cache on the apps./storage drive?

Each drive will use his own cache.

Remember that you will use the Raptor as the BOOT drive, all other applications will be in the Caviar Black, this setup is to avoid clogging BOOT drive having the OS and applications in the same location.

Thank you…I think I’m set now. Very useful advice