Advice on using WD TV Live with PS3 and Mac

I’m thinking about buying a WD TV Live but i have a few questions and i was hoping someone on here could answer them.

1- Will my PS3 see the WD TV Live? I have a PS3 in the living room and the WD TV woud be in the bedroom with a HDD attached that i’d also like to stream to the PS3 if possible

2- Will the WD TV Live see my PS3?

2- Will the WD TV Live stream to and from my Macbook?

If there are any options to do these things using custom firmware i’d like to hear those to.

Thanks in advance for any help with this matter

kinglambert wrote:

I’m thinking about buying a WD TV Live but i have a few questions and i was hoping someone on here could answer them.

> 2- Will the WD TV Live stream to and from my Macbook?> Can’t help you with the PS3 stuff. I have a WD TV Live on the wired network, and there’s an HFS-formatted usb hard disk hooked to it. I can see it from my Mac (10.5.8). It shows up in the Finder window sidebar as WDTVLIVE. I can log on (no username, no password) and copy video files to it over the network. No problems at all using the WDTVL with a Mac.> >

Thanks for the help. Does the WD TV Live see your mac and allow you to stream from it?

kinglambert wrote:

Thanks for the help. Does the WD TV Live see your mac and allow you to stream from it?

I’ve never tried. I only use the usb hard disk that’s hooked to the WDTVL and a MythTV backend that I have on the network as video sources for the WDTVL.

But I would assume that if you could set up a samba share on the Mac (possible? I don’t know…) it would work.

Thanks again for the advice. I’m currently looking at MythTV as well. How would you best recommend using MythTV in my current set up?

If anyone has any alternative set up suggestions using what i have i’m more than willing to hear them

The set up is…

PS3 in the living room

2 x Macbooks

and the WD TV Live (which I’m looking to buy) in the bedroom with attached 1TB drive

Best solution is i’d like them all to see each other, if possible

kinglambert wrote:

Thanks again for the advice. I’m currently looking
at MythTV as well. How would you best recommend
using MythTV in my current set up?

MythTV is a huge subject. If you’re interested, you’ll need to consult the online docs and join the mailing list. Check out mythtv.org

My MythTV setup is very simple: a single backend-only PC running mythbuntu 10.10 with one standard-def capture card: a Hauppauge PVR-150. The WDTVL sees it on the network under “Media servers”, and it can read its database. IOW, it sees the recordings as, e.g., “Colbert Report” instead of, e.g., “1055_20110227224500.mpg”. It worked without any configuration on my part - it just showed up on the WDTVL. (I was pleased - no need to set up a frontend.)

If you share the MythTV recordings folder on your network, then the Mac will be able to see the recordings and play them in, say, VLC. Or, even better, if there is a MythTV frontend build available for your Mac, then you can run that. I’ve never tried this, though, because I only have an ancient PPC Mac, and there are no frontend builds available for it.

MythTV can do high-def recordings using things called HDHomerun and Hauppauge HDPVR. I tried the HDPVR a few months ago and found it to be flimsy, so I sent it back. I’m waiting for a better high-def solution to come along.