Advice on 1TB USB 3.0 External backup HD

I have the external WD: My Passport Essential SE 1TB USB 3.0 HD.

I’ve never had an external backup HD before so, bare with me please. I have a couple different issues going on: 

I got it at around Xmas time originally to back up my PC with XP but, changed over to Windows 7 after getting a rootkit virus. So, I now have several copies of many notepads full of important information I really need to keep. However, the copies of notepads are *NOT* the same. So, I’m confused on how best to go about fixing this issue to only keep the latest copy and in the correct file. I’m unclear on which copies I can delete without having to go through each notepad one by one across several file locations.

  1. Is there an issue with backing up XP and then switching over to Win 7 due to the different file structure? If so, how should I best deal with that?

  2. Does backing up several copies cause issues when I really only need the lastest copy while retrieving?

  3. Do I need to “Drive Erase” when adding a new internal HD to replace my old int.HD that died?

  4. Do I need to “Drive Erase” when I get a rootkit virus?

  5. I’ve heard many computer geeks claim never to use the “auto backup” because it can never be trusted. Is there any merit to that with the software for the WD: My Passport Essential SE 1TB USB 3.0 HD?

Thanks in advance.

Goldnknight wrote:

  1. Is there an issue with backing up XP and then switching over to Win 7 due to the different file structure? If so, how should I best deal with that?

Yes. The best way to deal with it is to recover the files to a selected folder.

Goldnknight wrote:

  1. Does backing up several copies cause issues when I really only need the lastest copy while retrieving?

Yes, but only when restoring all files at once.

Goldnknight wrote:

  1. Do I need to “Drive Erase” when adding a new internal HD to replace my old int.HD that died?

Only if you want to erase the passport and start fresh.

Goldnknight wrote:

  1. Do I need to “Drive Erase” when I get a rootkit virus?

Yes, and you should also clean it with a powerful anti-virus and anti-spyware as well just to make sure.

Goldnknight wrote:

  1. I’ve heard many computer geeks claim never to use the “auto backup” because it can never be trusted. Is there any merit to that with the software for the WD: My Passport Essential SE 1TB USB 3.0 HD?

Yep, if you want things done right then do them yourself.

Pal to be honest i have been a member of the WD family(i mean an employee) and i am not with them anymore, i would recommend you to do just a normal copy & paste cos that is easy and you can clean up ur drive anytime, and incase of softwares just have the setup so that you reinstall them if you need them.

Don’t listen to geek they just try to show off that they no abt the drive and how to do backups, my suggestion keep it sweet and simple.

dont forget to call us incase of any trouble,

its 1800 ask4wdc