Advice needed on expanding RAID 1 onto NAS

I have a small video production business and am running low on storage space for archiving past projects. My current setup is a pair of 6TB WD Blue drives in an external 4-bay USB 3 drive dock, software configured for RAID 1 mirroring. The drives are formatted ExFAT and I primarily work on a Mac. I just ordered two more 6TB WD Blue drives to expand my storage, but am also considering getting a My Cloud EX4100 and moving from direct attached storage to NAS, largely so I can access my project archives remotely. If I go this route, is it possible to configure the NAS as a single 12TB volume with a redundant mirror? Or will I have to set up two 6TB volumes? I like the organizational peace of mind of having all my projects in one place. If I am forced to split my archives over two volumes, do the My Cloud apps at least provide an “all files” view or let me search the whole NAS at once? Or am I stuck hunting through two different volumes to find the files I need? Also, if I were to buy two EX4100’s could I set one unit up as a backup to the other? That way I could skip the RAID and just span drives as my storage needs grow, and the second unit could be the backup? Maybe even in a different physical location? I’ve never worked with NAS, so I’m not sure how feasible this is. Any advice is welcome.

@JayWindland,

Yes it is possible to setup this unit to do RAID 10, which is what you are after. This would give you a mirrored 12 TB volume to store your data.

This is also supported as well in that you can sync between two EX4100 units.

If you want my personal opinion and the fact you are wanting this to store your critical business data, do NOT buy a Western Digital NAS. I have had an EX4100 for a few years now and it is constantly locking up and crashing, to the point that I have had to develop custom scripts and change default parameters on the unit to trigger auto reboots when it does crash and also run the risk of data corruption every time I need to force reboot it. I’ve logged support tickets with WD Support and there are other users in this same forum experiencing issues with the EX series as well. Steer clear of these units.

Best advise I can give you is look at other brands of NAS :frowning:

Cheers,

JediNite

This is really valuable input and matches up with what I’ve been hearing from other knowledgeable sources. Thanks a bunch. It sounds like this is the way to go.

1 Like