Admin account permissions issue

Cheers for all your help dbwiddis, at least i understand the terminal a bit now.

But my problem still remains, i cannot seem to grant ‘write’ permissions to my folders, not even after applying 777 folder by folder (cause for Public it already says drwxrwxrwx) it still remains drwxrwxr-x.

And i’ve already reset the drive twice so this time i started from factory settings, didnt mess with any users or shares before i checked the permissions…

I’m at a loss now, pretty close to chucking this thing through the window :frowning:

Thanks a lot Pako. That worked perfect for me :smiley:

Hey 

I have the same problem… and I’m too dumb to be able to log in the terminal to the drive as SSH…

PLEASE HELP ME… my MP3 collection *legallly ripped my own CDs* is at risk

Can you please write down exactly how do you log in the terminal as SSH  and browse to the folder of the mybooklive drive?

I dont understand how to perform the steps 4 and 5 in the instructions below

1. Opened a terminal window, connected via ssh using the UI-supplied password

2. Navigated to the public folder.  Ownership of the public folder was “root” and group “share”.  Ownership of the problematic subfolders was “root” and group “root”.

I really appreciate your help

Christian Fierro

dbwiddis wrote:

I’ve been helping a friend troubleshoot their MBL for a few weeks and found several threads here discussing this same issue.  Finally pieced all the information together to come up with a solution that worked.

Symptoms:  Friend was using Mac OS X Snow Leopard.  Both OS and MBL confirmed on latest software/firmware.  Drive that was previously fully accessible ended up with the Public folder accessible but clicking inside it: “The folder “Shared Videos” can’t be opened because you don’t have permission to see its contents.”   Drive was accessible by opening finder and using smb://drivename.local but not through the normal mac share method.

Solution:

1. Went to the web UI using http://drivename.local/ which redirected to http://drivename.local/UI/
  1. Added ssh to the url:   http://drivename.local/UI/ssh
  1. Checked the box to turn on ssh
  1. Opened a terminal window, connected via ssh using the UI-supplied password
  1. Navigated to the public folder.  Ownership of the public folder was “root” and group “share”.  Ownership of the problematic subfolders was “root” and group “root”.
  1. executed the command “chgrp -R share Public” to change ownership of all files under public to the “share” group.
  1. Closed terminal window. Turned ssh back off.  Drive behaves normally.
  1. Opened beverage of my choice.

Good luck to any who this might help, and to the WD folks who read this and can figure out why the group ownership went wonky in the first place!

Does anyone have any updated information on this please?

I cannot access any of the folders under the “Public” share saying i dont have permission,

Thank you.

P.S I HAVE UPDATED TO THE LATEST FIRMWARE

Anyone, please?

I would suggesout that you forget about the public folders that are preconfigured on the MBL as they have caused nothing but trouble for a lot of users. I created separate shares for all my files (documents, music, photos, etc.) with permissions set in the dashboard program and it has worked very well so far.

I have the same problem with this daap user that sunddenly appeared from nowhere. I didn’t really understand what I should fo from step 5 and what do you mean by the command “chgrp -R share Public” ?!!

I have the same problem with this daap user that sunddenly appeared from nowhere. I didn’t really understand what I should fo from step 5 and what do you mean by the command “chgrp -R share Public” ?!!