Additional Files

My Cloud indicates 95% full. There a 3.3 TB at the end of additional files that could be deleted, but I can’t find how.

@tokeeffe What type of computer/device are you using and what operating system.

Where are you seeing additional files?

Before deleting anything, do you have any other users or backups that you would not want to delete. In other words, do any of those additional files belong to another user and do you have any other devices that are backed up to your My Cloud?

Additional files are shown on the bottom of the drive icon and are not accessible. Other backups are so identified.

@tokeeffe A image of what you are seeing would help. This is what I see on the Dashboard of my 2nd generation My Cloud and I have the same on my 1st generation.

If I check Quick View this is what I see.

@tokeeffe Is this what you are talking about? Look at the color of the icons and what they cover. First image does not show any files under additional Files. The second one does show the number of files in Documents.

Those are the files. The only way I could get rid of them was to erase the drive and start over. It would be nice to be able to get rid of them another way. There were more additional files than in the back up.

HI - i have the same issue. I cannot believe i need to reformat my disc to resolve this problem.

Are you indicating you cannot find the “Other” or additional files using Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder?

Are you using WD Sync? If so WD Sync will typically create a hidden folder that is not visible to Windows File Explorer or Mac Finder. WD Sync will generally store a file history of all files it syncs in this hidden folder. Users have found (past discussions can be found using the forum search feature) that WD Sync will fill up the free storage space on the My Cloud by storing version histories of files to this hidden folder. The workaround was to use SSH to access the My Cloud at the root/firmware level where one can see this hidden folder and then delete the contents of the hidden folder.

Yes, I am using WD Sync. This large file grew rapidly just recently, after several years of use. For future reference, what is SSH, should this happen again?

SSH give you the ability to enter commands on the My Cloud. To find where the disk is being used up. YOu can use the following commands:

cd /
du -hd 1

These two commands will show you which folder contains the most data. Once you find the folder with the largest amount of space used. On the Gen1 my cloud that would be /DataVolume
You then cd /DataVolume
run the du -h d1 This will tell you which folder in /DataVolume is using the most space. Again cd to the largest folder and start over.
When you have cd into the folder with the largest amount of used space.
now you can use the ls -al command to see all of the files and there sizes in this file.

You can use your favorite internet search engine to find a technical definition for SSH. For the purposes of the My Cloud it is a method of accessing the My Cloud at the firmware/root directory/folder level. In order to use SSH one has to enable it first through the My Cloud Dashboard > Settings section.

Once enabled one can use any SSH program/command terminal window to connect to the My Cloud and issue Linux commands. For Windows, Putty (https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/latest.html) and WinSCP (https://winscp.net/eng/index.php) are two popular programs for accessing the My Cloud. Putty is a command terminal interface window where the user has to type in (or paste in) commands, while WinSCP has a graphical user interface where the user can point and click with a mouse to navigate around the My Cloud root level, open files, and copy/delete files at the root level…

User rac8006 has indicated above a few commands on can issue using SSH to see which folders/directories on the My Cloud (at the root level) are the largest.