Adding more drives

True. Something interesting is WD has just release a 2TB portable USB 3.0 drive. Since the DX4000 has 2 USB 3.0 ports, this would be a good option to backup the server and take the copy offsite. The 2TB drive costs less than the internal drive so that becomes cost effective.

http://wdc.com/en/company/pressroom/releases.aspx?release=c3a9ddd6-7437-4ae6-bc33-b7c7c2d50904

What happens with the data which is already on the drives? I called the technical support, and I raised the same question, I was told I will have to rebuild the RAID5, and that he said I will have to reformat the drives.

I’m sure he (western digital) understood my question. But here is my scenario:

1. I start with 4TB;

2. copy my files to the box;

3. then decide to move to RAID 5, and I add another 2 drives;

at this point, what happens with the data on the first 2 drives? I guess how does it convert to RAID 5, from RAID 1…!?

I have no clue how it does it, that is why I said automagicaly :slight_smile: When WD first told us about this I said to self, I will believe it when I see it.  While I have yet to do it myself as my box started at 8tb, I know enough people who have done it, so I beleive it.

Aparently raid controlers have “improved” in 10 years  LOL  You just add a drive and it will automagicaly create a raid 5 and spread the existing data across the raid.

Please note you must purchase the drives from the WD store or find and exact match some where else.  I have not seen these drives anywhere else.  They are about $240 I think at WD

Read the first 5 or 6 posts in this thread again

Hi

I’like to know if the hotspare work on the Sentinel.

Thank you guys

There is no hot spare.  With Raid 5 you do not lose data if you drop one drive.  Hot spare or cold for that matter is not an option.

It is using the expandable Raid on the intel RST. Been around for a couple of years but not widely used till the last year. I am expanding my RAID to 12TB today just added two more drives. Too bad WD did not include RAID 6 as an option considering we then have the ability to lose 2 drives and still run (god forbid that happens with these RE4 drives geez 369 buck a piece I expect them to run for at least 5 years with no issues).

CagMisfits

Rum and Coke all around, Capt’s Orders