Added a MP4 on locally attached external drive, but it is not seen

OK Bill, the next suggestion is that you rebuild a hidden database folder found on each drive connected to the WDTV. Your Win PC must be able to see hidden folders and files, and this is made possible with an adjustment in the PC’s. settings. (You may have to google for " how to show hidden files")

The folder’s name is: .wd_tv (read as dot wd underscore tv) The dot at the beginning of the name denotes a hidden folder or file.

Any data on the drive is cataloged in this database, and any changes will be made any time you use the WDTV. It is OK to delete this folder, because if it is not ever present, the WDTV creates one from scratch like it did the first time it was used on WDTV… Sometimes it can get corrupted and have errors. Deleting the current .wd_tv to create a new folder is the way to fix the database. (If you search the forum for .wd_tv you will get a lot of hits.).

Since I had not done this for over a year, I decided to do it to both my 2TB drives connected to my WDTV right now. It is a good maintenance task I like to do annually even if I have no obvious antics from WDTV indicating any issues.

My drives are large and one has a lot of mp3 files, so it took the longest to complete. Just listen for all the disk activity, and once it is all silent again the job is done.

Since my WDTV drives are on my network, I could do all this from my PC, but if your drive(s) are not on network, you will need to remove the drives from WDTV and mount then on your PC to find and remove the folder.

Once folder is gone and drives are on WDTV, just unplug WDTV and in a moment or two re-apply power to boot the unit. Like I said, it could take 10-15 minutes to rebuild the database.

Hopefully, not seeing your new file added was an error that is now fixed. Let me know how it goes for you.