Add a USB drive to MY Cloud Home Duo?

HI,

thiis is my first question on this forum. I had a wdmycloud device, that ultimately broke, so I decided to buy a brand new WDmycloud Home duo (4To). To my dismay, I know discover that I cannot attach an extra USB drive on the back of the device to extend the storage capacity (which I used to do with the Wdmycloud I previously owned). I can of course attach a USB drive to the back of my new device to transfer files, but not as a permanent extra storage capacity. Am I doing something wrong ? is there a work around or a hack to solve this issue ? for a while I thought about trying to insert the firmware of a regular wdmycloud device to my new one, but I’m reluctant to go that way. Thanks a lot in advance for any hint or advice.

best regards

PatBud

The My Cloud Home USB port only supports the import and export of data into and from the device. It does not support adding/extending storage.

Please see the following article:

How to Export, Copy or Backup My Cloud Home Content to a USB

That’s one guaranteed way to BRICK your device.

NEVER try to install firmware designed for a different device…

thanks a lot. You’re right. This being said, I am really unhappy with the fact that, contrary to the old wdmycloud I had, I can’t attach USB drive for storage. Thus, since my 4To are already filled, I thought about switching from RAID to the other mode, to get 8To. And there, surprise, it’s telling me that all my content will be erased! So ultimately, I need to find 4To somewhere to save everything that is currently on my wdmycloud home duo only to switch mode, and then re-transfer everything back. No need to say that I’m not happy with the product. And since I live 4000km from where I bought the new one, no need to say that I cannot ask for an exchange… thanks anyway for your answer, to you and the WDStaff. My resquest : a new firmware allowing to use a USB drive as extra storage…best

PatBud