Acronis True Image WD Edition - Windows XP on dual-boot cloned SSD doesn't boot

I have an MSI laptop originally equipped with a WD3200BEVT 320GB SATA HDD, with Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and Windows XP Professional SP3 on different partitions set for dual boot (with EasyBCD). It was working perfectly and able to boot into either OS via a boot menu.

I just used Acronis True Image WD Edition to clone that HDD to a new WDS500G2B0A 500GB SATA SSD. The process went without a hitch and I installed the new SSD in place of the original HDD. The boot menu appears normally and I can boot Windows 7 with no problem, but it fails when I tried to boot Windows XP. The Windows XP startup splash screen appears, but then the computer simply resets itself and goes to BIOS POST again.

The Windows 7 partition is drive C, the Windows XP partition is drive D. I can see both partitions when booted on Windows 7 and the filesystems are OK.

I tried swapping back to the old HDD and it still boots both OSes successfully.

Why can’t the new SSD boot Windows XP? I tried searching the web but I can’t find a solution to this yet.

I searched also on the net but I did not find any solution, I hope that you have managed to solve your problem.

Unfortunately the problem is not yet solved. I started a thread at sevenforums.com on this issue and it’s ongoing. If you’re interested check it out:

https://www.sevenforums.com/hardware-devices/419362-boot-problem-cloned-dual-boot-ssd.html

It’s looking like a basic compatibility issue between Windows XP and the WD Blue 3D NAND SSD, but I don’t know what it is and why.