Acronis bootable media program is corrupting flash drives

I am using Acronis True Image for Western Digital to create bootable media on a SanDisk USB flash drive as per the instructions on page 14 of " ATI2021WD_userguide_en-US", the UserGuide. The program computes the required space as 1.3 GB and then tells me to proceed. After a few minutes, I get an error message “Unable to create bootable media. Unable to copy the product files”. When I try to check the properties of the flash drive, I get the error message “Location is not available. G:\ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable”. This has occurred using a brand new 128GB Sandisk flash drive and an older 8GB SanDisk flash drive that was functioning properly beforehand. Computer is an HP Pavilion g7 1260us NoteBook PC.
I purchased a 1TB WB Blue SATA SSD to use as the clone for my existing C: hard drive. I am concerned that using Acronis’s clone routine will corrupt the SSD.
All of this is way over my head as I am a 75 year old semi-retired accountant. Any help would be appreciated, aso “Thank you” in advance.

Hi @TaxManBT,

Please be informed that WD does not recommend using the external drive as a bootable device.

However, you can clone your existing drive to SSD manually also without creating bootable media.

Note: WD recommends taking backup of the data to avoid potential loss.

Please refer to the link given below to know How to Manually Clone a Disk with Acronis True Image for Western Digital.

Title: How to Manually Clone a Disk with Acronis True Image for Western Digital
Link: Manually Clone a Disk with Acronis True Image for Western Digital

Please clarify: Are you saying that WD does not recommend using a FLASH DRIVE as a bootable device?
If so , that is directly in contradiction to these instructions the User Guide, page 14, under section 2.2.2 “Creating Acronis bootable media”, to wit:

1. Insert a CD/DVD or plug in a USB drive (USB flash drive, or an HDD/SSD external drive).
  2. Start Acronis True Image for Western Digital.
  3. On the sidebar, click Tools, and then click Rescue Media Builder.
  4. On the first step, select Simple.
  5. Select the device to use to create the bootable media.
  6. Click Proceed.

When I follow these instructions, my flash drive gets corrupted,as explained in my original post. I am hesitant to try the “Clone Disk” function of the software in fear that the new SSD will likewise be corrupted.

Hi,

I appreciate that you have performed the troubleshooting steps.

Please contact the WD Technical Support team for best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask