Acronis Back on My Book external drive

Yesterday, I downloaded and installed the Acronis True Image Backup for WD on my computer. Since then my computer is running slow. Is this the experienec of others? How do I resolve this problem. Example. when I click on a video, it takes very long time to load and the video and the images take time to load / play.
Would appreciate any help to resole this problem. The OS on my computer is W10.
Thanks.

Hi @RWD18,

Please check the article to check common causes and solutions of slow backups:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/19820/

Hello Keerti,
Thanks for your response. The link you sent does not help with my problem.
My problem is not with the back up process. It worked fine. The real problem is that when the back up has finised and the drive is disconnected, the computer is slow. In one of the help pages it suggested switching off the ‘Acronis protection’ as was known to be slowing down the computer. I switched off Active Protection. Therewas no improve ment in the speed of the computer. When play video for example, the it starts buffering every few seconds.
In desperation I uninstalled ‘Acronis True Image for Western Digital’ and my computer has gone back to its normal speed.
Now I neither have the WD back up software or a usable Acronis Back up Software recommende by WD.
What are my optiuons now?

Hi RWD18,

I have Acronis True Image 2020 full license (not the free WD version). Acronis uses something like 5%-25% CPU constantly, which is a lot higher CPU usage than I expected for a scheduled backup. (Full disclosure: I have Active Protection turned on and scheduled daily incremental backups. My PC was purchased in 2014: i7-4790, 12GB RAM, 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Home 64-bit 21H1 19043.1348. I’m also backing up AppData, which is constantly changing.).

You’re not alone. I googled “acronis high cpu usage” and it seems like a lot of Acronis 2020 and 2021 users have noticed high CPU usage.

I don’t know if Acronis will help you with your high CPU usage. But if you’re interested, check out these Acronis support pages:
https://forum.acronis.com/forum/acronis-true-image-2020-forum/upgraded-2020-now-i-have-high-cpu-usage

https://kb.acronis.com/content/59211

Hi still_confused,
Thanks for your message and info. Much appreciated.
Unfortunately, because my installation is for a WD My Book external drive and the software was installed via the WD support screens, the Acronis support options takes me to WD Support. Acronis will not help.

I opened a ticket with WD support and guess what - they suggested that I install Acronis, do the back up and when it completes, I uninstall Acronis. They are suggesting that I do this everytime I want to do a back up. A very helpful suggestion
Do I want to do that? No way. As WD appears to be not interested in their customers, I have to take my custom elsewhere. In the past I have purchased 4 drives from WD. Even after this WD keeps sending me maketing emails saying how good their products and services are .

Hi RWD18,

Yikes. WD support’s suggestion is ridiculous. I’m sorry to hear it.

If you find an external HDD with a good backup solution post it here, or message me.

I’m looking at other local backup alternatives to Acronis. It uses too much CPU when it should be idle, has bugs and now they’re going to an annual license model.

IMHO, Apple should just implement Time Machine for Windows 10/11. If they did, they would crush the Windows backup market overnight, because every other alternative is either embarrasingly inferior or overpriced.

1 Like