Accidentally connected hard drive to 12V supply

I have a Western digital 1tb hard drive, I recently accidentally plugged in a 12V supply and now my PC does not see it. I realise that it is probably not going to work again, is there any way I can recover the files on the disc. The supply voltage I connected was actually 19V not 12V, sorry.

Hi! If you have some experience working with HDDs you might be able, but as it seems you need another same model Western Digital 1 Tb Drive. Your drive Electronic board might be fright. After replacing, it must be updated with the bios from the old micro-controller and after that you might be able to see your data if there is nothing else damaged. :frowning:

Virtually all external WD Hard Drives use 12V Power Supplies

very strange :confused:

Thanks sbirc, I was thinking along those lines but the bios would be a problem for me, I might get a quote from the pro’s and see if it’s worth it.

You are right Joey, I read the wrong supply transformer, I should have said 19V, it was a Delta supply for a modem that I had, should have thrown it away with the modem.

Hi Ned,

were you able to recover your data, I had the same issue. and trying to figure out if HDD is still ok.
I have replaced the PCB board and firmware from original PCB board, now the HDD is powering up but unable to see anything.

I am going to put it in the hands of a professional to see if they can do anything.as the circuitry would be the problem and the disc should be OK