Access WD MyCloud via Wifi / different Subnet

Hello everybody,

I want to use my WD MyCloud as a NAS, from a different Subnet.
The product I am talking about is the following: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00LIRUZGS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Precisely I want to use the TimeMachine function with my MacBookPro.

As far as I understood, it is not possible to use the Dashboard if in another subnet. This is something I can live with, but the TimeMachine function should be useable, when on another subnet. What is the point of a NAS, when it can not be used via Wifi / another subnet?

LAN subnet = 192.168.1.0/24
Wifi = 10.10.10.0/24
MBP-IP = 10.10.10.123
MyCloud-IP = 192.168.1.159

My firewall is not to blame, since I can access everything else (eg. my ProxMox-Server). I can however ping the device and connect via SSH into it. But I can not see it in TimeMachine or Finder (when connect via Wifi / different subnet; this works, when I am connected via Ethernet / in the same subnet).

I hope you can help me with that.

Kind regards
Max

It is NOT the fault of the NAS.

It is entirely the fault of your network IP addressing ‘design’.

I assume you ave a wired/wifi router?

For some reason, it is configured to use completely different IP address ranges for wired and wifi devices. Why?

Sort out the configuration of your router so it uses the same IP subnet for both wired and wifi devices.

The only reason to have the router set up as you have is if you explictly want wifi devices to be barred access to your wired network.

1 Like

Hey Cpt.,

Thanks for the reply, but I strongly disagree. As I wrote in the post, the WD MyCloud is the ONLY device, that is acting up. EVERYTHING else is working. ProxMox does not care, even my Router / AP / Firewall does not care and can be accessed via the wired address.

EDIT: What I don’t get: Why am I able to ping it and ssh into it? Seems to me, like an internal Firewall on the device?

UPDATE: I am able to access the NAS via SMB from my Wifi-Network.

I am actually going to make a new post, rather than constantly editing and updating my old post

The situation is now as follows:

• My Linux-Notebook can access the NAS via SMB over Wifi (NFS-Shares; TimeMachine-Folder or Public are accessible)
  • My MacBook can access the NAS via SMB over as well (all folder are there)

What is strange is the fact, that even when I access the folder named “TimeMachineBackup” the actual TimeMachine-Program of macOS can NOT use it. Any ideas about that?

Have you checked the subnet masks?

No I have not, quite frankly.

I got it running by mounting the Share via afp://192.168.1.159 in Mac’s Finder and then all data can be accessed.

It may be, that you first have to enter
defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1
in a terminal (see https://apple.stackexchange.com/a/72374, but it seems to work now. Will try over the night.

Thanks for the effort, have a nice day / evening / night (whatever it is on your side of the globe ;))

Wow, that looks to be a pretty obscure “Apple won’t let you use non-Apple products without some arcane wizardy” problem

What about the Dashboard? Weren’t you having trouble accessing that, too?

Your issue is networking related - TimeMachine looks for AFP shares which are broadcast on the network, but only to a single subnet. If you have different IP addresses in your wired vs wireless network, the router routing traffic between the two needs to be smart enough to re-broadcast these “Bonjour” broadcasts so the OS X device can find it (similar to SMB discovery in Windows). OR: Just mount the drive in OSX with a static IP of the NAS, and then point time machine to that mounted share. If you’ve saved creds in your keychain it will auto-mount it again whenever needed - no network discovery needed.

2 Likes

Yes, I am still not able to access the dashboard (via different subnet / Wifi).
I can reach the dashboard, but I get

Forbidden

You don’t have permission to access / on this server.

As far as I understood, this is by design and I also looked into the Apache-Files on the NAS.
In the file /etc/apache2/sites-available/wdnas-ui.conf, I already commented out the ${LOCAL_NET}, to no avail. I read in one thread, that that should help. But after I rebooted the server, the file was resetted to default.