Access My Cloud with chromebook?

I agree - accessing WD My Cloud from a chromebook should be provided by WD as quickly as possible. This would put them ahead of other “personal” cloud providers instead of behind.

I wonder what the usage of mobile vs chrome apps looks like.  Chrome apps are mostly desktop apps - so people use fewer of them but they use them longer at a time. And they use thm for their work vs for play.

The press releases all said that WD Cloud 3.0 would have support for the Chromebook - but I cannot find anything on the Internet or even this site that says where the app is to download and the only apps in the Web Store that have My Cloud in them are not at all related to Western Digital.

Am I just looking in the wrong place or was this just hype by WD?

1 Like

I am eagerly waiting for an extension to chromebook too

Hi, pchelpme. Is there an updated solution for this? I tried the Network File Share for Chrome OS extension and I still couldn’t map my MyBook Live to my chromebook. If there’s no other solution, do you mind posting again your converted app?

Not sure where you’re getting your information that they were returned (specially because they were windows…). Chromebook sales have been increasing exponentially since they were released.

Getting information from 2014, when that post was made, perhaps…?

Since then, I’m not sure I see what I’d call exponential growth…

Just in case someone else stumbles across this thread. I installed File System for Windows from the ChromeOS store, and can access all the shares on my WD MyCloud perfectly with very little setup.

Enjoy!

Curious if now (10 months later) the access to the Google Play store should now have solved our issues.

I ask because I have tried the WD Access app via the Google Play Store and installed it but then I run into an error viewing the license agreement.

Anyone out there???

There is a windows file share extension in the chrome extensions list. It allows chromebooks to mount windows file shares, and use them with the files app.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/network-file-share-for-ch/ndjpildffkeodjdaeebdhnncfhopkajk?hl=en

It has a few warts though. It is a bit unstable, from personal past experience. Probably why it has so few stars. Sadly, Google is dragging its feet on native SMB support.

It’s now 2020 and STILL WD Mycloud doesn’t work properly with Chromebook!!

I can access the Public Folder now, but still drag and drop files like I can on windows…when is this going to be sorted out WD?! I’m thinking of getting rid of my Chromebook and/or my WD Cloud

The issue is the chromebook not the NAS. The chromebook thinks all your files should be stored in your google drive cloud account, not on a local area network, because that is what “Google Wants™”.

There really is no justification for it; Chromebooks use a linux kernel, and linux has supported NFS mounts since the dark ages, and has supported Samba for over a decade.

Google just does not want your data anywhere other than on an SDCard, or in your google drive.

Again, there are 3rd party extensions to give you FUSE support, so you can mount a network share.