Access denied without Password enabled - Windows 8

Just installed the WD My Cloud.  Works great with my Vista machine, but have had a lot of problem with my Win 8 machine.  The only way that I can get Win 8 to give me access to the Cloud is if I turn on the password requirement (on the Cloud) and set my user name and password the same as I use on the Win 8 machine.  I do not like doing this.  If the password requirement is off, then Windows 8 gives me the message Access denied.  Note, if I open a Command window and use the net use command to map a drive number to the Cloud, it will prompt me for username and password the first time.

Note, I do have password protected sharing off.  Given that, has anyone found another reason that the username and password is required for access?

thanks

Windows is always a pain in the but to use especially the persistent mapping of drives. I don’t use Windows 8 but I have used all the previous versions of Windows since 3.1.

You can try mapping with alternative user login and password in which you can use guest and empty password and I think that should work; unless this has been changed with 8.

It’s not just mapping that is requiring the username and password.  If I look in my network neighborhood (on the desktop), then I see the icon for the WDMyCloud.  I cannot even open that drive and see the folders in it unless the password and username of the WDMyCloud is the same as my windows password and username. 

Now here is an interesting part, after I boot up Windows and automatically map the drives (again with the username and password on the WDMyCloud the same as my windows logon) , I can then go to the WDMyCloud and turn off the password access option and I can still open the WDMyCloud icon and see the files and do anything I want to do, until I re-boot.  Windows is setting some sort of flag for the drive after the initial mapping (with username and password) that says that I have access and it doesn’t re-check that access until I re-boot. 

On the NAS named “NAS”, you have NASUser1 as a user, and this user doesn’t have a NAS password. You have set up this user through the NAS admin interface, and you have given  him/her read or read/write access to the share “NASShare1”.

On Windows,  go to the control panel, user accounts and family safety, open the windows credentials managers and delete any existing stored credentials for NAS.

Launch a command prompt and type: “net use * /delete”. Close that command prompt.

Make sure you have no (sync or backup, etc.) software accessing your NAS. If you do, make sure they are disabled upon the next reboot.

Reboot the computer.

At this point, you should be able to open NAS\Share1, and enter NAS\NASUser1 as the user. You can stored these credentials.

Remember that Windows allows only one set of credentials for each Windows user to access a given remote computer (NAS in this case) regardless of the shares made available by the NAS. This means that if you have accessed NAS\Share1 with the credentials NASUser1, and now want to access NAS\Share2, you will need NASUser1 to have access to NAS\Share2 for example. Otherwise, Windows explorer will ask you for the credentials of NAS\Share2 but will deny access even if you enter correctly NASUser2 credentials, for example.

1 Like