AC3 Dual Audio Issues

Whenever I play a video file with encoded with AC3 that has two audio streams, like an older Hong Kong film with both Cantonese and Mandarin, they both play at the same time. Of course, I don’t speak either and have to rely on subs, but even so, you get an incredibly irritating mix mash of noise.

When I play the same file through my computer video application, like VLC or MPC, there’s a way to stop one of them from playing, either by selecting one or the other or by using the audio settings to play only the right or left speakers, but I can’t for the life of me figure out a way to do the same thing in WDTVL.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you’re saying that the LEFT channel has one language and the RIGHT channel has another language, the WDTV isn’t going to work with that.

That’s a silly way of encoding videos, anyway, but I guess you’ll perhaps need to use the analog stereo output and just unplug the cable you want to silence.

Or, just re-encode your audio so that each language is a separate audio track instead of two channels of the same track.

No, it’s not encoded that way, because playing the same file through VLC allows you to select one or the other stream, OR sometimes, as in once in a blue moon, you can accomplish the same thing by selecting the right or left speaker, by that’s rare. I probably just confused the issue bringing up the right/left speaker thing now that I think about it. Forget that part.

Moving on, WDTVL should be able to see that there are two audio streams present and allow you to select one or the other, just as VLC or MPC does, rather than play both at the same time. It shouldn’t be that difficult a fix, but so far no joy. I’ve brought this siuation up on multiple occasions in the past few years, hoping someone will fix this in the next firmware upgrade, but they keep ignoring the issue.

Is there a better way or more direct way to get this issue known to the right people who update the firmware?

This is the first time I’m reading about this and I’ve never experienced anything like this on my WDTVs, only on crappy Windows Media Player when the Haali splitter wasn’t installed.