ac3 DD issue on m4v files via optical link

Hi…

Just connected my WD TV Live to my AV amp and TV for the first time.  I am using the component cable for the video and an optical cable for the audio.  The WD TV LIve was set to digital audio.

I have a problem when playing m4v files - the DD 5.1 audi track (ac3) only appears on the AV amp as Dolby Pro Logic.  I created the m4v file using handbrake and used the AC3 pass through option for the audio.

When i play the original ISO file on the WD TV Live then i see the correct Dolby Digital audio on the AV amp.

When I play the m4v file on a ps3 then i see the correct Dolby Digital audio on the AV amp.

I used the same cables and AV amp set-up for the three tests. 

My conclusion is that the passthrough for ac3 5.1 DD ausio is not working…   or have i missed something?

Please advise.

D

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this. You can do so either by phone or email.

To Contact WD for Technical Support

http://support.wdc.com/contact/index.asp?lang=en

Droolian wrote:

I have a problem when playing m4v files - the DD 5.1 audi track (ac3) only appears on the AV amp as Dolby Pro Logic.  I created the m4v file using handbrake and used the AC3 pass through option for the audio.

When i play the original ISO file on the WD TV Live then i see the correct Dolby Digital audio on the AV amp.

When I play the m4v file on a ps3 then i see the correct Dolby Digital audio on the AV amp.

I used the same cables and AV amp set-up for the three tests. 

My conclusion is that the passthrough for ac3 5.1 DD ausio is not working…   or have i missed something?

Your conclusion is correct; M4V / MP4 passthrough of AC3 5.1 isn’t working; the Live downmixes AC3 5.1 to stereo.

This has been a known issue for a LONG time and there’s nothing WD tech support can do to assist.

However, the recent Live Hub update included revised audio code that FIXES this issue.  I’ve tested with M4V and MP4 and successfully gotten AC3 5.1 on my Pioneer amp.

Hopefully, we’ll see this fixed in an upcoming Live / Plus firmware (sadly, it didn’t make it into the latest Beta).