Aac 5.1

Alright, having done more reading and research, looks like the issue about multichannel audio with AAC may not be the WDTVLIVE’s fault (sort of).  It probably IS outputting 5.1 to the receiver, but most receivers only decode Dolby Digital (ie, AC3) or DTS.  A few newer ones out there also do AAC. 

If this is true, it would be great to have a firmware update that gave the option of outputting AAC as PCM… I believe this would bypass this problem for most people’s receivers.

Does this logic sound reasonable?

My HT system actually shows AC on the display but no sound come out. So yes it is receiving something that it cannot decode. 

But it looks like there are some solutions:

How to play an AAC-5.1 over SPDIF - instructions how to convert a file to AC3 

Dvd audio is AC3-5.1 and external digital receiver plays it with no problem via  SPDIF.
Modern videoes 1080p, 720p, MP4, mov, 
Matroska (mkv) often use audio compressed in AAC-5.1, this is good because AAC is more efficient than AC3, but that is bad for my receiver that, as commonly for a receiver, it supports only the AC3 format.

http://ac3filter.net/ - a FREE plugin that will allow the WDTV to process AAC and convert to AC3

AC3Filter is a high quality free audio decoder and processor filter. It allows media players to playback movies with AC3 and DTS audio tracks. Also it can process any audio track, much of processing options allows to adjust the sound in almost any way. It is possible to upmix any audio source to 6 channels. Filter can do multi-channel and digital (SPDIF) output. It can encode any audio source to AC3 on-the-fly and send it over SPDIF to the receiver.

BTW Vote for it HERE

AC3Filter , a FREE plugin that will allow the WDTV to process AAC and convert to AC3???

really? :stuck_out_tongue:

dont think so…

Why do you think not? I am sure that WD could at least ask them if they can use the technology & convert it into the proper format that will work on the system.

oh you meant if WD were to implement it…

hmmm if WD really wanted to they could make the wdtvl do all sorts of stuff :stuck_out_tongue:

You say that like it is a bad thing to request features and functions.