A work laptop that i cannot add software too and how to back this up

Hi, really wanting to buy the ‘WD My Cloud’ but i have read a little about the USB3.0 only being used for adding more storage.

I have a Mac which is mine and i am admin so this will work ok.

I also want this device to back up my work laptop (windows), but the laptop is locked down so i cannot add an app or software to it.  I can access the USB drives for file transfer.

Is there a way i can transfer data from my locked down work laptop to the Cloud?

Thanks

That’s an interesting question… At my place of business, I’d be promptly fired for doing such a thing.

If it’s locked down to such a point that you can’t even connect to it via a network share or FTP, then I think you’re out of luck.

He just mentioned he can’t add software. So I guess he can access any smb share. So he should be good to copy anything and everything he wants.

bagpuss wrote:

Hi, really wanting to buy the ‘WD My Cloud’ but i have read a little about the USB3.0 only being used for adding more storage.

I have a Mac which is mine and i am admin so this will work ok.

I also want this device to back up my work laptop (windows), but the laptop is locked down so i cannot add an app or software to it.  I can access the USB drives for file transfer.

Is there a way i can transfer data from my locked down work laptop to the Cloud?

Thanks

You may need to ask your system administrator if you are able to access or mount network shares.  If so, then you should be able to transfer files to your drive on the same local network with no issue.