A word of Caution

We recently introduced three 3T WDC Live HDD’s into our existing network that already contains WDC World Book II HDD’s.  Since their introduction we have been unable to undertake any reliable backups to the new Live drives using our standard Ghost 15 software and have found some data corruption in transferring large files to these drives.  We continue to have faultless backups on the World Book II units.  Net and local research here would indicate that others have also experienced problems using Ghost software with these drives.

Trial testing with alternate backup software has shown that some of the better known offerings have similar problems operating with WDC Live drives.  For example both current offerings from Acronis fail to even find the network existence of the Live drives but happily discover the World Book II drives and write perfect backups to them. 

That we have found the same problems in three brand new drives, exposing them unsuccessfully to alternate software and at times finding that they are not even discoverable whilst the World Book II’s are faultless would seem to indicate that the NAS implementation in the Live drives is different to that of the World Book II’s or that it contains a fault or is inconsistent with the NAS standard.  This too may well explain why WDC’s “WD Discovery” interface has not been, as would logically be expected, expanded to find WDC Live drives.

I have submitted tickets to WDC regarding the problems we face and seeking a quick resolution as we are, because of it, dangerously lacking backup capacity.  Hopefully this will be a simple glitch ,rapidly resolved and we will not be forced to replace these drives, returning them as not fit for purpose.

In view of our problems I would urge any prospective purchasers of WDC Live HDD’s delay their purchase, if they can, until WDC has had a chance to address the problems we have found with them. 

I would also urge any prospective buyer not to simply seek another product on the basis of this report as our experience over many years has shown that WDC has long produced reliable products and deserves the opportunity, where possible, to correct any faults found in service.

Net and local research here would indicate that others have also experienced problems using Ghost

Where are you finding this info?  Doing a quick search in this forum yields no results of people having issues with Ghost, or even corruption in general.

why WDC’s “WD Discovery” interface has not been, as would logically be expected, expanded to find WDC Live drives

Again, why do you say this?  The WD Link software does work with MBL drives.

http://support.wdc.com/download/notes/WD_Link_Release_Notes_1.00.03.pdf?r=674

Thank you for your response TonyPh12345 though its seems largely irrelevent.

Certainly it is not my place to comment on your abilities with a search engine; that is best left to self reflection.

I am grateful for your WD Link software link although I am uncertain why you provided it.  Perhaps it is because you mistakenly believe it to be the  WD Discovery software which I refer to and you also quote as my reference. 

The information that WD Discovery is not compatible with WDC Live drives was provided by Western Digital Tech Support in response to a specific question put to them.

Unfortunately having providing a number of support tickets and technically detailed emails to WDC Support with requests that they be escalated to a more expert level of support, all we have received to this point has been a series of simplistic, irrelevant and false responses none of which proved to be of any help and all of which proved that our submissions were either unread or not understood.

Pressed for time, we have now removed all WDC Live drives from our network and cancelled our order for another handful that we had temporarily put on hold.

These unsuccessful units have replaced with Seagate drives which installed without problem and that happily operate with our established Ghost 15 software and existing WDC World Book II drives.

Coincidentally the Seagate drives come bundled with Acronis Image software which I was assured, in one of our responses from WDC Tech Support, does not operate with any networked drives.  The same email that advised that WDC Live drives only operate only with Windows Backup or WDC Smartware.

I feel that the majority of the problems we found may have lain with Tech Support perhaps rather than the WDC hardware and it was just unfortunate that we did not have the luxury of time for a resolution.

Bazmax wrote:

Thank you for your response TonyPh12345 though its seems largely irrelevent.

Doesn’t matter whether you think it’s relevent or not.  As to your wild claim that the MBLs are corrupting Ghost backups, when called out, you are unable to support your claim with any evidence.

And about WD Discovery:  You fail to understand that WD Link *IS* WD Discovery.   WD Discovery is long gone.  WD Link replaced it. 

Don’t believe me?  Click this link, which is an older announcement for WD Discovery update (in 2010) … the link now goes to WD LINK.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/News-Announcements/New-Release-WD-Discovery-Tool-Update-for-WD-Sharespace-amp-My/td-p/26250 

This looks like Bazmax is a familiar troll with a different name. . . there are a few phrases used in the main post that other short time posters have used. All of them having terrible experiences with whatever product they are commenting on.