A Warning on Firmware update OS5 PR4100 56TB

I allow my PR4100 56TB to Automatically update the firmware (OS5)
To date no issues…till yesterday with the latest update 5.22.113 May17 2022.
Now it appears to be “bricked” and will not accept manual firmware updating to recover. Just stays in safe mode and inaccessible. :frowning:
Thanks WD.
(I’m awaiting a support response on how to recover. :pray: )

In the meantime, I have a new unit on order and hope I can install the drives from the old unit to the new without issue. - or all my data is gone. Im hoping updating the new identical unit to the current one will not prevent this.

I hope this helps others avoid a similar issue.

2 Likes

Hi @Chocoa510,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

1 Like

Yes I have thanks.:+1:t2:
Case is sorted. Replacement due after I return the faulty one.
The support has been excellent despite many comments to the contrary I’ve read and heard.
So…Thank you WD support for you help.

Did you manage to recover the bricked NAS or are you using the replacement you’ve ordered? Yes, contacting WD support is the first way to go, but there may be information given by support that could be posted on this community forum that may, some time in the future, help other people get out of such bricked NAS situations.

Bricked unit returned. I previously tried reflashing to no avail. I’m using the replacement now.
No information to relate other than good support by WD.