Narrow Shelves and using right angle Adapters

Remember to check that the products are what they are after the order arrives. Although this is my first time on right-angle products, I have had USB 3.0 orders that were simply USB 2.0 in blue colour, and Cat5e cables that were merely Cat5 cables (the difference is the ability to handle gigabit). I even wrote to the seller of the Right-Angle USB 3.0 to guarantee that their products are indeed USB 3.0 (the differences are the number of connectors). Right Angle power connectors must be 5.5x2.5mm Male (the 5.5x2.1mm Male don’t work).

This idea has been in the ideas section for 2 years and the same idea has been suggested in the Live forums for 2 years.

Every cloud that has been RMAed has been due to the media scans keeping the device so busy that its own cloud DNS is unable to operate properly so when browsing for the cloud in the network, it cannot be found. The media scans are also the problem of the USB lockups when the USB drive is full of data (especially photos, mp3’s, movies, ebooks) and you plug it into the back of a Cloud and within 5 minutes both devices will lock. The media scans are probably the cause of the blank dashboard that every user has encountered. The media scans restarts itself after every firmware update, the programmers decided that this was a good idea in case the media database format is incompatible with the latest firmware database since they did not know which firmware version you were upgrading from. So after each firmware upgrade, the media scans starts up and all (the opposite of heaven) breaks loose.

The media scan is the bane of WD. If WD had fixed this two years ago, or even 2 months ago with the release of OS 3, the forums will be dead quiet.

and the reason that WD never fixed this is for the same reason that my near empty Cloud has been running really nicely. Why fix something that ain’t broke? Apparently if you load your data real slowly (allowing the media scans to complete after each load of media), your device will sleep and will respond, but on the day of the firmware update? watch out… because now that the drive is full of data… suddenly you have the media scan to contend with… and the user will pull the plug because the device is now so slow. After pulling the plug, the white light will stay on longer to do a FSCK, and the user will pull the plug out again and again and again … until they decide to post up on the forums complaining about the red light.

been there… done that… :stuck_out_tongue: I was that user… now I know better… keep the drive empty and it will work…

so I went through the ideas section… found…

sleep-please-fix-it
media-scanning-wdmcserver-must-respect-do-not-share-media-for-shares-do-not-scan-all-shares
my-cloud-ex2-turn-off-convert-wdmcserver-wdphotodbmerger-processes
the-options-to-disable-the-convert-wdmcserver-wdphotodbmerger-processes-in-the-my-cloud-dashboard
why-is-convert-process-maxing-my-cpu
please-dont-create-wdmc-twonky-folders

1 Like