A Fix: The Orange Circle of Death?

Here is what worked for me: clear the media library.  Don’t know why, but, it’s worked for me in the past.  Try this:

Setup → System → Media LIbrary → Clear Media Library → Yes

Good luck mate.

Well, I’ve developed a symptom similar to yours.  My wdtv live hub will play movies fine for a while, then it will stop playing any file.  You can view the file listing, but, when you start to play a file - the spinning circle of death shows up and it doesn’t do anything.  You can back out from there and view the file listing, but, it won’t play a movie from there.

A reset will get it back to operating, but, after a while it exhibits the same problem.  Clearing the media library is not fixing it this time.

So, I’m moving on and checking out the new android boxes, like the units from Matricom or Minix.  Would be interested in hearing if anybody has tried them out.

toejam wrote:

Well, I’ve developed a symptom similar to yours.  My wdtv live hub will play movies fine for a while, then it will stop playing any file.  You can view the file listing, but, when you start to play a file - the spinning circle of death shows up and it doesn’t do anything.  You can back out from there and view the file listing, but, it won’t play a movie from there.

A reset will get it back to operating, but, after a while it exhibits the same problem.  Clearing the media library is not fixing it this time.

So, I’m moving on and checking out the new android boxes, like the units from Matricom or Minix.  Would be interested in hearing if anybody has tried them out.

That’s what I did…still not perfect but more better. :wink: Having the flexability of a mini PC is nice. Using XBMC/Kodi even better. Still, it’s not 100% but getting there…

This might be a fix for the spinning circle of death (scod), found it on another wdtv forum:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Live-Plus/SOLVED-WDTV-Live-8-TB-NAS-freezes-after-watching-not-able-to/td-p/173922/page/4

I don’t have a QNAP NAS, but, do have a Synology NAS, and started having wdtv live hub issues when I added it to the network. I disconnected the wdtv live hub from the network and it went back to working flawlessly. Hooked it back up to the network and started having the scod issues again. Going to have to find out how to shut down upnp port forwarding on the Synology NAS.

This is just food for thought:

My Hub is no longer being used as a media player it’s just connected to the network for storage. BUT when it was being used for media I had the SCOD problem too. I also run a PlayOn server. That started exibiting problems where it would fill empty .txt files ment to be used to store links to video’s that you choose as favorites. The links were stored in the associated .txt file. As it turned out, I had purchased a LG “Smart” TV and added it to the network. This was a mistake that I didn’t discover for many months. The way in which LGs DLNA software works is what caused these problems with PlayOn and so I had to issue a static IP to the TV and block the IP of the TV from the PC hosting PlayOn and the issue stopped. I only happened upon this discovery when I noticed that when the TV was removed from the network PlayOn was OK.

So…this MAY have been my problem with the SCOD. I don’t know for sure because by the time I had discovered this I had already removed the Hub as a media player and replaced it with something else so I could use XBMC. Which also reminds me that somewhere I read that other people with LG TVs had issues with XBMC and the LG TVs that were, I think, causing addons to startup and run on their own! It all has something to do with the way the TV gleans the DLNA info from servers.

If you have a smart TV and the SCOD problem, try removing the TV from the network and see what happens…whew, I really did try to make this short… :slight_smile: