Now that you have the WD TV Personal Edition, there is something you can try which may solve the problem.
It did me after a short test.
What happened ? Watching Youtube and letting it “auto play” … upon exiting the Youtube app terrible slowdown and a bit unresponsive.
So, i tried something (i’ll explain in a minute) … tried Youtube again for about 30mins on “auto play” … exited the Youtube app … and low and behold … No slowdown, and the unit was quite responsive.
What did i do ?
Created a 128MB Swap File (or Page File)
(it’s configured in the WDLXTV webend gui)
But you have to use WDLXTV firmware
- Totally safe: I assisted KAD79 with it for several weeks in testing
- Not permanent: runs off a Flash Drive, remove Flash Drive, reboot to run Official Firmware.
- But, remember the “Swap File” is created on the Flash Drive, so you must leave it inserted.
- Yes, it is possible to create a Larger Swap File eg. 256MB, 512MB … but it takes a very long time
- eg. 128MB Swap File creation took roughly 1-2 Hours (maybe even longer)
So, in my quick testing the Swap File seemed to help … you’re welcome to try it, what have you got to lose ?
P.S. If you have any questions, i’ll be happy to assit … but please post Questions on the WDLXTV site (not here)
P.P.S. Development of WDLXTV for the WDTV Live Hub … is in progress (but, nothing yet … couple of hurdles to overcome)