A few tips for noobies like me - also false rumors

Some false statements I read several times:

DVD ISOs are only available from USB-connected drive. THIS IS NOT TRUE - I can play them from network shares. The part about no menu is true however,

mkv’s do not appear in windows media server because they are not compatible - must be played from Network Shares. Well, THIS IS NOT ABSOLUTELY TRUE. If, on your media server computer, you install the mkv codec pack (ffd show, haali etc), then mkv’s will play in windows media player and will also be playable on the WD TV from media server. If fact high bandwidth mkv’s play much better from the media server than from my network shares. I had major stuttering and dropped sound when played from network shares, but flawless playback from media server. Maybe media server has some QoS settings that account for this, at least on my system.

Buffalo WLI-UC-G300N USB wireless adapter is on the approved list. IT IS NOT COMPATIBLE HOWEVER in my experience with two WD TV Live boxes, and also with these people http://community.wdc.com/t5/Networking/HD-Live-does-not-recognize-Buffalo-wireless-adapter/td-p/10917

Finally, I had no luck seeing any network shares until I set Computer Browser Service to “Automatic” You can check this setting from the Microsoft Management Console (MMC). This one change cured the entire networking problem for me.

Hope this helps some people.

My network is two win7 64 computers, one vista 64 (media server - 6 TB RAID 6), four XBOX 360s and two WD TV LIVE boxs. I use hardwire ethernet, powerline ethernet and ethernet over coax adapters

Welcome to the forums and thanks for the tips.

I’m particularly interested in your setting of the master browser service  to “automatic”.  I’d love to see if other folks find this useful to them, so I’ll start at least recommending they give it a try (and perhaps we can build up some stats as to whether it’s useful or not).

EX-BOX360 wrote:

Some false statements I read several times:

DVD ISOs are only available from USB-connected drive. THIS IS NOT TRUE - I can play them from network shares. The part about no menu is true however,

What do you mean about NO MENUs?    I haven’t had any problem getting DVD Menus to work via Network Shares.

mkelley wrote:

I’m particularly interested in your setting of the master browser service  to “automatic”.  I’d love to see if other folks find this useful to them, so I’ll start at least recommending they give it a try (and perhaps we can build up some stats as to whether it’s useful or not).

Well, it didn’t solve my problem. One of my W7 computers are still inaccessible (the other W7 and XP works fine). It stopped being accessible after I down- and upgraded the Live for another problem hunt, and I DID remember to restpre the settings. Weird

Cocovanna