A few questions + Pics of My Setup

So, here are some quick questions:

1. How do you use both an external HDD and a USB keyboard at the same time? Is it possible with a USB hub?

→ I want to have a USB wireless bluetooth keyboard on my bed to control the media player, but it only has 1 USB port which is already being used by my WD Elements 500GB HDD.

1. Is there a way to change the ugly pink color used for the My Storage app and every pinned folder associated with it?

2. Is there a way to download new apps? If not, then what’s the point of having a “App Usage” button? And why would you be given 217MB for space for only 15MB of pre-loaded apps?

3. Why do album cover pictures only get displayed for USB Storage devices, but not on Media Servers?

→ As you can see in the pictures below, I use cover photos for my pinned movie folders. But the cover photos are not detected if I plug my HDD into my router as a DLNA media server instead of directly into the USB port on my WD Play. I have tried re-pinning the folders as both USB Storage and Media Server locations, and it only seems to work one way, not the other.

So that’s it. Here are some pictures of how I have my WD TV Play set up in my room, as well as my customized Home screen. :slight_smile:

Hello and welcome,

Most powered USB hubs should work. To see a list of the officially supported models, check the link below. 

List of compatible devices for the WD TV Play Media Player

There is currently no way to change the Storage app icon, but you can make the suggestion in the ideas section. New apps are added to the WD Play list of services through firmware updates. 

1 Like

Ichigo wrote:

Hello and welcome,

Most powered USB hubs should work. To see a list of the officially supported models, check the link below. 

List of compatible devices for the WD TV Play Media Player

There is currently no way to change the Storage app icon, but you can make the suggestion in the ideas section. New apps are added to the WD Play list of services through firmware updates. 

Thank you for your help.

I am curious if you know the answer to question 4) from the original post.

I also would like to know if the WD TV Play may be compatible with a standard Bluetooth dongle to connect a Bluetooth keyboard, rather than your typical wireless keyboard receiver. I want to buy the  Fosmon Mini Bluetooth Keyboard and pair it with a Universtal Bluetooth Dongle. I figure it may work if the Dongle does not require any drivers and can function independently regardless of the source.

I bought both products and I’ll try it out and see if it works. That’s really the only way to know for sure. 

EDIT: If the Fosmon Keyboard doesn’t work out, then I’ll just go for the Hausbell 2.4Ghz Mini Wireless Keyboard instead