A couple of questions about formatting

I have a macbook and transfer my files as normal by drag and drop and its worked a treat so far, i plug the element play into the hdmi of my sony bravia KDL-32EX403 TV the element play is a 1tb model.

as some of my files now are blu ray .mkv they are larger than my old .avi files and exceed the Fat32 limit.

If I format in a different file format will the TV see the files or indeed the element play the choice would be a mac format ideally, also if i format it says ALL DATA will be lost - does this include the onboard menu system etc on the drive or is that protected?

Thanks

Hello, you can format the elements on HFS+ for Mac and avoid the 4gb limitation and it will only delete the media files, nothing else.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3865/session/L3RpbWUvMTM0OTYzNDQxNi9zaWQvMzQzdGE4OGw%3D

The TV doesn’t care what format the disk is, unless you meant to say you’re plugging in via USB instead of HDMI.

the elements play comes formatted as NTFS, not FAT32, so you shouldn’t be seeing a 4GB limit…

before i decided to format it I found an external drive and plugged it in to 1st the tv, then the home cinema and then tried the WD box, they all worked when playing an avi and a MKV file, so formatted the external drive so that larger files would go on, the box was recognised but not the large file, which is meant to be an MKV file although its blu ray - used handbrake and altered the file to an mp4 and it worked ok but of course reduced the file down to 2.4gb from 10gb.

So i dont think its anything to do with the format of the box but its more to do with the file type.

So haven’t formatted the WD as most of my other files are much less than 4gb