Remote access to WD My Cloud Mirror

Dear all,

two questions regarding the remote access feature of the WD My Cloud Mirror:

1. when accessing remotely via the WD apps is it done via a secured encrypted connection ? I couldn’t find a clear comment regarding this feature in the documentation (only that port 80 and 443 is used for connection)

2. what is the account on wdmycloud.com used for and why is it needed ? does it mean that all data is basically visible or accessible by WD when logging in remotely via WD apps ?

thanks for any hints regarding my questions.

1. Yes; it uses SSL transactions.

2.  It’s not mandatory;  it’s handy, though, if you’re linking multiple NASes to the same account; you can access them all from the mobile app using the same account.   Otherwise you have to either do a Media Access Key for each NAS and enter them one-by-one, or connect to them individually when you’re on the home network.

thanks for your comments.

one further question regarding remote access, how does the mobile app find my NAS when I’m not in the home network ?

The admin of the NAS needs to initiate it while you’re at home.

While both your NAS and your mobile device are on the same network, the app can automatically find the NAS and you can connect.

Or, to connect someone who’s not local:

When you set up your My Cloud Mirror, you can register the users to a wdmycloud.com account, and use the same account from the mobile app to make the connection to the NAS.

Or, you can generate what’s called a Mobile Access Key (MAK) from the NAS’s configuration, and use that MAK in the apps to connect.

thanks for the explanation.

i’m interested in what’s happening in the background when I connect via app when I’m not in my own network. how does the app find my NAS in my local network which doesn’t have a public IP adress ? is there a service from WD involved for this ?

bensisko1980 wrote:

thanks for the explanation.

i’m interested in what’s happening in the background when I connect via app when I’m not in my own network. how does the app find my NAS in my local network which doesn’t have a public IP adress ? is there a service from WD involved for this ?

Yes.  When Mobile Access is enabled, It is registered with WD’s databases and it updates that database which keeps track of your internet address.

thanks a lot for your answers. :slight_smile:

May I also jump in with a question regarding the remote access?

I always thought it should be possible to access my shares remotely via wd2go.com but yesterday I was told on the support line that this is disabled due to security reason and is only available for the “normal” WD My Cloud.

Is this really true? And if yes, why? I don’t understand this. Why is is more secure to access a WD My Cloud than to access a WD My Cloud Mirror via web interface?

dudtom1 wrote:

May I also jump in with a question regarding the remote access?

I always thought it should be possible to access my shares remotely via wd2go.com but yesterday I was told on the support line that this is disabled due to security reason and is only available for the “normal” WD My Cloud.

Is this really true? And if yes, why? I don’t understand this. Why is is more secure to access a WD My Cloud than to access a WD My Cloud Mirror via web interface?

It’s true that Web access is only allowed for the older NASes.   The newer ones require the mobile or desktop apps.

I don’t know that’s a security issue or not…

And it was not “disabled…”  it never existed for the newer platforms at all.

may I also ask a question. im currently using plex with a desktop constantly running. I would like to know if the my cloud can get meta data for movies. also have any of you tried streaming movies when not at home., does it work well for example Iag free.