My cloud won't sleep

hi , i have just bought the wd mybook 3 tb and he wont go in standby mode.Before i had a my book live and he work correct.

i forgot something?

how many minutes it takes before going into standby?

thanks

10 to 15 mintues…

But if you just bought it, are you sure it’s done doing its initialization / indexing / etc?

for just i mean yesterday :stuck_out_tongue:

how many time he need to complete?

content scan say IDLE, you mean this?

thanks for replay

Have you installed WD quick view? It seems that it may keep the drive awake.

No , none app…i have put only 1,6 tb of data and set the cloud for remote access :frowning:

It’s probably still doing metadata extraction for use with remote access.

With 1.6tb of data (depending on the type of data) it can take hours to days.

You can log into it via SSH and look at the active processes to see what it’s doing.

1 Like

Mine won’t either.

I turned off my PC so that shouldn’t be “talking” to it and preventing shutdown. I have a single file on it, and it’s been running for several days so far.

I can turn it OFF or REBOOT IT just fine.

Other:

1. Internet Explorer 11 has issues (diagnostic not finishing, firmware update error etc) so I use FIREFOX

(Windows 8.1 64-bit; Avast 2014 Internet Security)

1. Do I have to reinsert the POWER CABLE to turn it back on after a manual shutdown or is there another method?

(nothing mentioned in the manual on how to start, just how to turn it off)

I was having the same problem. I submitted a case to WD support. See below:

In regards to your case, the reason why the hard drive is not going to sleep mode is because there is a program or software accessing the hard drive in the background.

We recommend you to follow the steps below in order to get the hard drive to sleep mode.

1) Turn off the DLNA server.

Please refer to page 82

Link: http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705103.pdf

2) Make sure that neither the Anti Virus or the Firewall are accessing the hard drive.

3) Make sure that no backup software is backing up to the hard drive. 

Subsequently, I turned off the network time synchronization, and iTunes server. Now the drive goes to sleep after 10 minutes.

James

Photonboy wrote:

Mine won’t either.

I turned off my PC so that shouldn’t be “talking” to it and preventing shutdown. I have a single file on it, and it’s been running for several days so far.

I can turn it OFF or REBOOT IT just fine.

Other:

1. Internet Explorer 11 has issues (diagnostic not finishing, firmware update error etc) so I use FIREFOX

(Windows 8.1 64-bit; Avast 2014 Internet Security)

1. Do I have to reinsert the POWER CABLE to turn it back on after a manual shutdown or is there another method?

(nothing mentioned in the manual on how to start, just how to turn it off)

You have to reinsert the power cable to turn it back on. As it’s a nas its designed to remain on, the shutdown is there so that if it needs to be turned off its done in a controlled way rather than just pulling out the plug and causing possible data errors.

When you say it never sleeps do you mean that your front led never undulates but remains a solid blue.

The light stays SOLID BLUE. I can also feel the hard drive spinning inside the case.

I’ve tried everything everyone has suggested with uninstalling Quickview, deactivating Server features.

Same problem here, frustrating

WD My Cloud didn’t go to sleep with following settings :
-all computers on the network turned off
-the DLNA server and NTP server on the device turned off
-no backup software running
-no anti-virus or firewall accessing the hard drive.

-no content scanning, indexing or initialization.

It was only when I disconnected the device in my WD My Cloud Android App that the drive went to sleep. Which is odd given the fact that even with the app killed and the WiFi connection on the smartphone killed the drive didn’t go to sleep.

This brings me to another question : how does one properly disconnect from a remote access via the WD My Cloud app without removing the device.

After a week of use I found that the My Cloud device doesn’t go into sleep mode after using certain Android media player apps (DLNA).    I also have a 1TB My Passport  hard drive hooked to the router for DLNA streaming using the same Android apps and the My Passport does go to sleep mode after 10 -15 minutes. 

[Brilliant contributor named “Banned”](/wstd/board/message “Brilliant contributor nemed “Banned””) provided a solution for the WD My Book Live (MBL) to stop the endless 24x7 thrashing of the disk drive and to allow the MBL to enter SLEEP mode. Here is Banned’s solution adapted to the WD My Cloud.

A lot of people, myself included, just want to use the My Cloud as a Network-Accesible Server (NAS) for back-ups on the local area network, and are not interested in Remote Access over the internet. We just want the My Cloud to show up as a drive letter in Windows Explorer (such as W) or a network drive name (such as \WDMYCLOUD\sharename) so that backup software running on computers connected to the LAN will have a shared place to back up their files. The standard configuration of My Cloud allows you to do this, but 99+% of disk activity is indexing the drive content for Remote Access over the internet. If you don’t want Remote Access, you are paying a huge price in performance, energy consumption, and drive life for this feature that you are not using.

So here is the variation on Banned’s excellent method to end disk thrashing adapted for the WD My Cloud. Remember, be VERY careful, as every keystroke counts and a mistake can lead to bigger problems.

1. Read Banned’s solution for the WD My Book Live (see link above).

2. Access your My Cloud via SSH as per Banned’s directions (it’s easier than you think).

3. From SSH, disable the processes that are thrashing the disk drive 24x7:

cd /usr/local/wdmcserver/bin

chmod 644 wdmcserver
    chmod 644 wdphotodbmerger
    chmod 644 convert

1. Open your local My Cloud admin web page ( http://192.168.x.y/UI/ where 192.168.x.y is the local IP address of your My Cloud)

2. Reboot the My Cloud - Home | Utilities | Device Maintenance | Reboot

3. Reboot takes a long time, so don’t touch anything until it completes.

4. When the reboot is complete, wait about 5 minutes with NOTHING accessing the My Cloud.

5. Now listen carefully and put your hand on the My Cloud, and the disk thrashing should be a thing of the past.

6. To RE-ENABLE the processes that are thrashing the disk drive 24x7 because you want Remote Access, go to SSH:

cd /usr/local/wdmcserver/bin

chmod 755 wdmcserver
    chmod 755 wdphotodbmerger
    chmod 755 convert

2 Likes

I forgot to mention the obvious. BEFORE making the changes through SSH and rebooting your My Cloud:

1.   Open My Cloud admin web page ( http://192.168.x.y/UI/ where 192.168.x.y is the local IP address of your My Cloud)

1.   Home | Settings | General | NTP Service = OFF

3.   Home | Settings | General | Remote Access = OFF

1.   Home | Settings | General | Drive Sleep = ON

2.   Home | Settings | General | LED = ON or OFF (negligible power consumption)

6.   Home | Settings | General | Time Machine = OFF

1.   Home | Settings | Network | SSH = ON

2.   Home | Settings | Network | FTP = OFF (not sure if enabling FTP will cause thrashing, unlikely)

9.   Home | Settings | Media | Media Streaming = OFF

1. Home | Settings | Media | iTunes Server = OFF

Captain Panaka, you’re right that these services will not directly disable sleep mode, but by thrashing the drive 24x7 trying to keep up with all the indexing and thumbnail generation required for remote access, the disk is never idle and hence, never sleeps.

If you need remote access over the internet, then you have to put up with this level of disk activity. But if you only want to use the WD My Cloud as a NAS (Network Accessible Server) on your LOCAL area network, then 99% of disk activity is not serving any useful purpose, and is just wearing out your drive, wasting energy, and generating heat. A NAS is typically in use less than 10% of the time, but all this indexing raises its duty cycle to near 100%.

Alastair_Gordon wrote:

Captain Panaka, you’re right that these services will not directly disable sleep mode, but by thrashing the drive 24x7 trying to keep up with all the indexing and thumbnail generation required for remote access, the disk is never idle and hence, never sleeps.

Sure it does, when those tasks are complete…

TonyPh12345, the point is that those tasks NEVER completed! Each day someone would back up a bunch more photos, and the thumbnail generation and other indexing would run for hours and hours. The next backup would happen before the indexing of the previous one was complete.

If your backup frequency is low and the number of files modest, then maybe all the indexing would run to completion and the disk would sleep. But there are lots of complaints about the WD My Cloud thrashing constantly. The point is, if you do not need remote access, you do not need to be wearing out your disk drive with all this activity.

The WD My Cloud is a magnificent Network Accessible Server (NAS) for LOCAL Area Network backups, better and cheaper than its traditional competitors. Disabling this pointless indexing lets the WD MY Cloud match or beat its competitors for speed, longevity, and energy consumption.

WD should offer a setting for “Local NAS Only” operation that would disable indexing and thumbnail generation.

Alastair_Gordon wrote:

TonyPh12345, the point is that those tasks NEVER completed! Each day someone would back up a bunch more photos, and the thumbnail generation and other indexing would run for hours and hours. The next backup would happen before the indexing of the previous one was complete.

Ahh.  Ok, yeah, that makes sense…  That’s a LOT of photos each day.  :)

Alastair_Gordon wrote:

The point is, if you do not need remote access, you do not need to be wearing out your disk drive with all this activity.

Agreed…  If not for disk usage, for security.

The log files don’t show any particular media hanging the indexing or thumbnail generation. It just seems to be workload.

When you back up security surveillance data, there are a lot of new photos, videos and audio files every day. The indexing function cannot keep up and so the disk is thrashing 24x7 for a function that this application has no use for.

In addition, by killing the processes that often consume 90%+ of CPU time,  backups to the WD My Cloud over the gigabit LAN seem to be about 40% faster.

The only remaining (tiny) irritation is that the My Cloud firmware seems to have a bug that prevents the disk from spinning down. But on a problem scale of 1 to 10, constant spinning is barely a 1, while endless thrashing is a 9.999!

If anyone has an aswer to the constant spinning bug, I would love to hear it.