90% Of Firmware Issues Resolved

I subscribe to this thread via RSS, so I can see when there is a new firmware or beta available, so i see all of the complaints that come.

Please don’t be angry, or begin flaming me, but i, like many others i have read about, make it standard procedure to do a Complete Factory Restore (restore factory defaults) upon completion of any firmware upgrade.

I follow this everytime i upgrade, and i can say that i have no issues out of my players.

i view primarily mkv and m2ts files, I listen to my mp3 library , use pictures in the folders with my movies as moviesheets.and have a 7.1 surround sound sytem i use for all of my audio.

all i am saying is give it a shot. it cant hurt, and with the support now of the keyboards it takes me a minute to return all my settings back to normal.

I hope this helps someone.

Merry new year to you all!

Just thought I’d reply. I too always reset (all 3 ways if need be) but this time it just wasn’t enough. I like the web features on  1.04.10. I even bought a Wii USB Keyboard to use with it. The playback problems on mkv, iso and others just make it not worth it. I rolled back to 1.03.49 and lost the web features (except mediafly) but am able to watch everything I throw at it again.  Just waiting for 1.04__ where I can enjoy it all. Never did get the Logitech Wii keyboard working though on any firmware, despite the fact that many posters are using it just fine. Oh well.

clouseau wrote:

Just thought I’d reply. I too always reset (all 3 ways if need be) but this time it just wasn’t enough. I like the web features on  1.04.10. I even bought a Wii USB Keyboard to use with it. The playback problems on mkv, iso and others just make it not worth it. I rolled back to 1.03.49 and lost the web features (except mediafly) but am able to watch everything I throw at it again.  Just waiting for 1.04__ where I can enjoy it all. Never did get the Logitech Wii keyboard working though on any firmware, despite the fact that many posters are using it just fine. Oh well.

I’m a big fan of the 3-way reset.  Pretty much do it after every firmware update and have minimal issues.

I’m also one of the people happily using the Logitech Wii keyboard without issue on several WD Live devices.  Did you pair the keyboard to the USB receiver?  Try attaching it to a PC first to get it up an running, then plug it into the Live.  :)

I did try pairing it with my vista pc then my win7 laptop - didn’t work with either. I’ll try again with my xp pc. I thought of contacting Logitech - they’re support is real good but it’s a discontinued product and I’m not really using it for what it was designed for (don’t have a Wii). I’ll post the results later on.  The strange thing is (as others have noted) the power light goes out after just a few seconds. It’s hard to know if it’s even still on. I’ll play with it some more and see what happens. Thanks.

I would really question that 90% of firmware issues are solved by resetting. But I would agree that SOME issues are solved by resetting, and it is certainly worth trying resetting if you have problems.

For example, the current firmware release (1.04.10) had many problems for me. I tried  the 3-way reset (more than once) and it did not help the video stuttering or audio dropout problems. I had to go back to 1.03.49 to fix those problems. 

Any professionally developed software would not need that kind of reset. It should work right after the firmware upgrade.

But I agree, it is good advice to do a reset in case of WD to eliminate a few bugs.

Unfortunately it does not solve all issues, especially the network bugs are still persisting.

I agree with Ron, any professionally developed software/device shouldn’t need to do this much workarounds or fixes as much as we have for this device.