8TB WD Elements drive not working

My 8TB hard drive that I had about 1TB worth of data for my PS4 has suddenly stopped working. One day I was ready to play some PS4 and I went and tried to turn on my hard drive but it did not respond. Even with the main power cable to turn on connected, it doesnt even turn on when you press the power button. I dont know what to do, at this rate I will have to get a new hard drive or just use a select few of games on my 500GB PS4.

I have done my research and seen suggestions that maybe the power cable is the problem or hard drive.

Please I am open to any advice and help ASAP.

Hi @Gian123,

Please refer to the following articles for accessing the Disk Management in Windows and Disk Utility on macOS:

Title: How to access Disk Management in Windows
Link: Access and Use Disk Management Tools on Windows

Title: How to access Disk Utility on macOS
Link: How to Access and Use the macOS Disk Utility

Please refer to the below link to troubleshoot the issue:

Title: Windows or macOS Cannot Find My Drive
Link: Cannot Find My WD Drive on Windows or macOS

Please test health of your drive using Western Digital Drive utility:

Title: Setting up and using WD Drive Utilities
Link: How to Install and Use WD Security and WD Drive Utilities Features

Hope it helps!!

It won’t.

Once the drive is formatted by the PlayStation 4 Console for game installations it will not be recognized by Windows or macOS because the drive uses Sony’s propriety filesystem also with a layer of Encryption on top.

The user will have to re-partition and format the entire HDD and lose 1TB of Data in DIsk Management before the Computer will recognize it.

But all of that is redundant as the issue the user is having is No Power.

1 Like

I remember now, I was playing on my PS4 and my apartment electricity suddenly shut off. The housekeepers told me it was a fault to do with something I have no clue about. Anyway, I feel as though because the hard drive was on and spinning, and the power was suddenly turned off it caused a problem. If anyone has any ideas about this, do not be afraid to @ me and reply.

If someone could help me find a solution to get it working again that would be great.

electrical black outs, brown outs, power surges etc

can damage and fry electrical equipment.

sounds like the 8TB hard drive could be, and most probably is toast.

Only way you’re gonna know if it got fried is to completely disassemble it and examine the logic/controller board for evidence.

EDIT: You might get lucky if the USB Controller is fried, but the hard drive is OK … then you would need to buy a 3rd Party SATA USB Enclosure that supports 8TB drives .

But, if the Hard drive is fried, then that’s a Major Issue.

There might be bad sectors in your drive. One of the major cause of bad sectors in a hard drive is due to the loss of magnetism, which occurs due to usage and time. If bad sectors are due to, loss of magnetization, then the damage to data is irreversible. If the problem is due to minor parity, then it is easy to fix a bad sector in hard drive. Below are some more causes of bad sectors:

1. Address Mark Corruption
  2. Data Corruption
  3. ECC Field Corruption
  4. Overheating
  5. Over-aging
  6. Virus/Malware Attacks
  7. Dust

For further clarification, I suggest you to check the health of your hard disk. You can try the below solutions to fix your corrupt drive without formatting the drive:

Solution 1: Run Antivirus Scan
Solution 2: Run CHKDSK Scan
Solution 3: Run SFC Scan

Hope it will help!