WD Please add Google to the list of web locations

Why is google not on the list? - at present users are trapped in locked room & WD has the only google key…

Google is a Search Website used in Internet Browsers (Firefox,Chrome,Internet Explorer etc)

The WDTV Live Hub does not have Internet Browser.

Nor will it ever have, as WD have stated the Hardware is not Capable of it, and is Unplanned.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Ideas/Please-include-at-least-a-primitive-web-browser/idi-p/149322

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Ideas/Browser-Application/idi-p/235520

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Ideas/Full-Browser-with-support-for-Flash-or-HTML5/idi-p/315435

Many thanks for Post JS = pity I dont like the message…

What a sad answer from WD = do they think they can keep their users just looking at sites most / only suitable for teens eg even market investors dont like facebook anymore…I know its easy to alter software to change the search target…so its WD policy to keep their users in a small dark room which now fewer and fewer will visit & dont forget WD its mostly Parents that buy ur expensive kit…

Dude, the Live Hub was never marketed or intended to be a web browser. Why do people keep coming in here and complaining about things the Hub won’t do that it never was designed or advertised to do? Go out and buy a web-enabled TV if that’s what you need. The Live Hub is a media streamer that has a few web-enabled features. It’s as simple as that. I’m sure the licensed content providers wouldn’t be too happy if the device was also able to stream pirated content from anywhere on the web.

Hi M-S

I have a Sam SMART TV so if WDC are happy to provide web childrens choices for their locked in viewers = at least the Hidden Agenda isnt hidden any more Older viewers must be patient and wait for the SAM equivalent product…

Didnt have to wait long for Sam TV to respond & they even have a hub = until we get new eyes & ears this must be as good as it can get

Samsung TV 8000 55 inch LED (? why cant I copy paste a web link?)

I got my WD Hub home a few months ago, and I love how it streams Netflix, or interfaces with my 2TB of net-storage to play movies I’ve ripped, or TV shows I’ve downloaded.

What really chaps my mule is whenever I try to make rice with it, man, it’s awful… No matter how long I cook it for, the rice is ALWAYS undercooked and chewy…  I know that the developers at WD could fix it if they wanted to, but they appear to have some anti-rice cooking agenda  and I cannot for the life of me, figure out why.  

Com’on WD.  Improve the rice-cooking ability in the next firmware update, or I might just have to look at some other media player for my starches.  

Not supported by WD. There is a ( test ) browser on the Hub. Not the fasted one out there but with a wireless keyboard and mouse it is a nice feature …

1. Go to the Setup - About screen
  2. Then press the Search button on the Remote

setup-about.jpg

IMG_0295.JPG

Edit: Added the setup screen

Edit 2: Text color change (new white forum background)

13 Likes

How to get out …

Press the Blue Home Menu button on the Remote to return to the Setup - About screen …

3 Likes

That also works on the live streaming player. Good find.

That might be the best post this forum has seen in days, Medic!   Well done!  

(I shudder to think how you found that!  LOL)  

Indeed it is a good find.

Wonder if there is a way to tab about with the WD app ? Nothing obvious so far.

Holy cow. How on earth did you discover this?!

I’m browing this forum on my Gen3!

BTW, my wireless keyboard – and mouse – work perfectly!

Wow! Medic, this is an amazing find! Thanks for sharing the info. 

I can’t get the browser to fit on the screen (edges cut off) and a bit slow… but we have a browser! Keyboard and mouse work like Tony said, and I am shocked that even the scroll wheel on the mouse works. 

Great stuff, thanks

-P

I was making changes to the original AEonisch Hub Theme made by JoeySmyth to make it work with Lstar337’s moviesheets. To check some text alignment i was on the about screen. When putting the remote on the table i somehow pressed a button and noticed the spinning arrow on my TV. After the browser appeared i was wondering if it worked with my wireless keyboard/mouse and it did.

At first i couldn’t find’out how to return to the normal screens on the hub so i turned off the power switch to reboot the Hub. Later, wondering how i got there i went back to the About screen and pressed every button on the remote and found out it was the Search button that got me there. To return was just the same thing by pressing every button it was the Home button that got me back the previous/normal Hub screens.

:smiley:

2 Likes

pearl wrote:

Wow! Medic, this is an amazing find! Thanks for sharing the info. 

I can’t get the browser to fit on the screen (edges cut off) and a bit slow… but we have a browser! Keyboard and mouse work like Tony said, and I am shocked that even the scroll wheel on the mouse works. 

Great stuff, thanks

-P

To fit the browser on to your screen go to:

Setup - Appearence - Screen Size Calibration

Change this from 100% to 95% ( or smaller if needed )

Now the browser fits on your screen.

Note: this will effect every screen on the Hub so after using the browser you can always set it back to 100%.

1 Like

I was about to make my first reply "Yeah, right!  Nice Joke!’  but thought twice about it and tried it.  I was astounded.

Let the Kudos Roll.

1 Like

:laughing:

Nice to know.

Passwords/usernames ( Cookies ) etc are not stored on the Hub’s internal drive.

Downloads are not working, not stored on the Hub’s internal drive.

Don’t know about Youtube etc. file streaming …

Just so everyone knows…

What you found was more of a test function.  The WD TV does not support any open browser functionality for user access.  Consequently, we won’t provide support for it, either. 

Sorry…

1 Like

Medic wrote:

:laughing:

Nice to know.

Passwords/usernames ( Cookies ) etc are not stored on the Hub’s internal drive.

Downloads are not working, not stored on the Hub’s internal drive.

Don’t know about Youtube etc. file streaming …

No flash support, so no youtube etc

1 Like