500GB Blue SSD low reading speed (10-20 MB/s)

Hello WD community,

I’m having the problem that loading some Samples into RAM is done at a “whopping” speed of about 10-20 MB/s.
After trying a few solutions from this forum and other internet sources (full list at the end), I ran my own tests to further isolate the problem.

So I tested copying some files and found the following:

• copying proprietary .nki files (Native Instruments Midi Sample files) from the Western Digital SSD (WDC WDS500G2B0A-00SM50) to a Crucial SSD (Crucial CT525MX300SSD1) matched the problematic 10-20 MB/s reading speed

• copying equivalent big .iso files with the same SSD configuration is done with average ~450 MB/s

These measurements were taken using Western Digital’s Dashboard software. In addition, I roughly double checked the read/write speeds by also measuring the time.
So I do believe, that the type of Data is the root to this problem.

Questions:

1. Is this a known problem I have to live with, or is something wrong with my SSD?

2. Is this odd behaviour due to SSD and data architecture?

3. Is there any way to solve this issue?

I am quite confused and lack the knowledge to understand more deeply why this is happening. Also, I don’t find very much on forums about this specific problem, so I hope someone here can give me some insight.
Thanks so far for reading, I am looking forward to your ideas!

List of checks and changes:

• The Dashboard software from WD states, that the SSD Health is in normal condition and the firmware is up-to-date. There seems to have been no firmware update ever, because no firmware change was done by myself. I don’t know if an automatic system did a firmware update by itself, but I am doubting it.
  • both SSDs are formatted in NTFS
  • both SSDs are connected internally to the southbridge SATA 6 GB/s connectors
  • both SSDs have more than 25% free space (SSD1: 28%, SSD2: 39%)
  • Trim is enabled
  • I changed from native IDE to AHCI. That did improve the measured value for the disk sequential read from 120 MB/s to about 231 MB/s. (measured with the “winsat disk -seq -read -drive X” command in the powershell)
  • implemented exceptions in Avast Antivirus for the folders
  • disabled “Windows write-cache buffer flushing”
  • disabled “Windows write caching”

System Specs:

• Processor: AMD FX™-8150 Eight-Core Processor 3.60 GHz
  • Mainboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
  • RAM: 4x Corsair XMS3 DDR3
  • SSD1 (OS): Crucial CT525MX300SSD1
  • SSD2 (libraries+Data): WDC WDS500G2B0A-00SM50

Hi @Ruhkar,

Please take a back up data in another location.

Please refer below link to format SSD drive : https://wddashboarddownloads.wdc.com/wdDashboard/DashboardSetup.exe

Hope it helps!!

Well this did the trick, thank you very much!

Is there any deeper explanation to why this weird effect arose? I would like to understand this on a technical level.