500GB Black drives

Are the 500GB internal Black edition drives getting the 500GB platters yet?  If so are there any specific model numbers to look for?

Steve

I believe WD5001AALS-00L3B2 500Gb Caviar Black uses a single 500Gb platter. WD really should include the number of platters and capacity per platters in their specification… It would save a lot of trouble and confusion! I mean the only way for us consumers to find out how many platters a drive has is to refer to reviews which compares the performance, weight of older model and a new one and “suggest” how many platters a drive has. (alternative is to dismantle the drives)

student_sol wrote:

I believe WD5001AALS-00L3B2 500Gb Caviar Black uses a single 500Gb platter. WD really should include the number of platters and capacity per platters in their specification… It would save a lot of trouble and confusion! I mean the only way for us consumers to find out how many platters a drive has is to refer to reviews which compares the performance, weight of older model and a new one and “suggest” how many platters a drive has. (alternative is to dismantle the drives)

What makes you think that drive is single platter?  Just curious if it’s personal experience or have you seen some mention of it?

NM, found several references to that model as a single platter.  I guess all that’s left is to  buy one and see :slight_smile:

Any idea if WD phone support will provide this kind of information?

Thanks,

Steve

stvptrsn wrote:What makes you think that drive is single platter?  Just curious if it’s personal experience or have you seen some mention of it?

NM, found several references to that model as a single platter.  I guess all that’s left is to  buy one and see :slight_smile:

Any idea if WD phone support will provide this kind of information?

Thanks,

Steve

This site seem to list the hard drives according to platter capacity: http://yertech.blogspot.com/2009/08/35-hdd-platter-capacity-model-list.html

It didn’t have the full model name for the WD5001AALS-00L3B2 though, I just used the “WD5001AALS” mentioned in the 500Gb platter section to find it. And yeah, I haven’t actually used or even seen them before…  Perhaps you can share your findings after you get it. :slight_smile: As for the phone support, why don’t you try if you’re really not sure?