4TB WD Green drives (WD40EZRX)

Hi all,

I was recently told by a WD rep that the 8TB Thunderbolt Duo uses 2 x 4TB WD Green drives. I was very happy to learn that and wanted—and still do, of course—to get a pair to double up storage space in my 4TB TBolt. Problem is I can’t find the new 4TB drives—the WD40EZRX—anywhere. So my question is: are the new 4TB WD Green drives available ? Has anyone actually seen them ?

I want to replace the two 2TB Green drives in my TBolt with two 4TB drives. If the WD 4TB Green drives are not yet available, I have to look elsewhere. I know the original 8TB TBolt Duo came with two 4TB HGST Deskstar 5K4000 drives. So presumably that would be an option. Would Seagate’s own version of a 4TB ‘green’ drive—the ST4000DM000—work in the TBolt ? Are there other options ?

Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated. Thank you.

Best,

RGLAN

There’s a possibility the enclosure you have will not support a larger capacity drive.

This particular chart shows that WD Green drives are in the market:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/internal/desktop/

However, we do not recommend upgrading the drives since it might not work.

John012 wrote:

There’s a possibility the enclosure you have will not support a larger capacity drive.

However, we do not recommend upgrading the drives since it might not work.

Thank you for the reply. Could you be more specific about the  possibility  that my enclosure  may not  support 3TB or 4TB WD Green drives ? Why would that be ? Aren’t the enclosures the same for 4TB, 6TB, and 8TB My Book Thunderbolt Duo ? I was told recently by a WD rep that I could bring my unit up to 6TB by replacing the two 2TB Green drives with two 3TB Green drives. Made perfect sense to me at the time. Now I’m confused. I hope you can clarify your statement.

Thank you again.

RGLAN

Greetings,

The possibility comes from the WD My Book Thunderbolt Duo being originally introduced into the market when Western Digital was yet to produce 4TB internal drive units and the associated manufacturing process.

JStaff wrote:

Greetings,

The possibility comes from the WD My Book Thunderbolt Duo being originally introduced into the market when Western Digital was yet to produce 4TB internal drive units and the associated manufacturing process.

Thanks. So could I upgrade to 6TB using two 3TB Green drives ?

RGLAN

Since WD recommends Red drives for RAID, would it be better to use RED drives instead of Green?

As a bit of general information I can tell you that WD 2 tb green drives work perfectly in My book studio ii that’s supposed to only take 1 tb drives. :wink:

Does anybody know what is the speed of this hard drive? Is it 5400RPM or  7200RPM? I found one drive, exact hard drive WD40EZRX-00SPEB0 Can I use two of them in RAID and Thunderbolt?