4TB USB-C G-DRIVE crashes when writing to or copying from drive

Hello.

I have been using the 4TB USB-C drive for video editing since December 2017 with no problems. But now as I would render video, it would randomly stop, the drive would sound like it’s rebooting (although the drive icon would never disappear from my desktop as if it ejected), and then the render would never continue. I would have to force quit the app (in this case Final Cut Pro), and sometimes the drive would come back on and I could continue, but other times it would keep rebooting and I’d have to force eject it. Even when copying files to and from the drive, depending on the size of the file, it will stop half way through and sound like it’s rebooting. I’m not sure if something is corrupted or if it’s just failing. Any help would be appreciated!

I use a 2017 iMac 5K running macOS 10.14.3. The G-drive is formatted as OS X Extended (Journaled) as far as I remember. I’m not currently using the drive at the risk of it damaging further.

Thanks in advance!

Edit: I forgot to mention that “Put hard disks to sleep when possible” in my Energy Saver Settings is unchecked.

First recommendation is to offload any data on it that you need and to attempt erasing the drive in Disk Utility and see if that will allow you to use it fully again. If it is just corruption then that would fix it.

If there is a hardware issue either due to the enclosure or drive mechanism after a certain point then we’d need to warranty the drive for replacement.

You can create an RMA on our website here: RMA Creation

Thanks for the quick response, Rydia!

I will try offloading the data and erasing the disk in Disk Utility to see if that works. I see that my warranty is good until 2020, so if need be, I will create an RMA and send it in.

Thanks again!