4TB Passport requires reboot to be seen after cold start

Recently got a WD 4TB Passport to replace a 1TB Toshiba (preemptive - after 6+ years, a couple of bad blocks). Passport plugged into same USB3 hub location as Toshiba was. Drive is my User partition.
Running Windows 10 Pro - latest updates.
After a computer cold start, Passport is NOT recognized by File Manager, Device Manager nor Disk Management. After a reboot, everything is working normally.
Seems the Passport might not be spinning up fast enough to be recognized???
When checking the driver, I found it’s using a Microsoft driver dated 2006. Attempting to update driver, says that’s the best.
Today, I tried disconnecting the Passport for 10 seconds and reconnecting - no joy, still had to reboot.
Any ideas/suggestions?

Hi @casa26687,

Please test the health of your drive using the Western Digital Drive utility:

Title: Setting up and using WD Drive Utilities
Link: How to Install and Use WD Security and WD Drive Utilities Features

Tried the Utility right after installing drive - everything fine… but found the Utility caused software compatibility problems (seem to remember issues with Rainmeter and playing Zero-K) on my machine so I removed, including using regedit to get rid of all the background stuff.

I’ve found: after powering on my UPS, the drive lights up, but seems to turn back off between turning on the computer and before the BIOS password prompt. If I turn the drive off (switch on USB hub) and back on before entering my BIOS password, the drive can then be found by the OS.

I may try re-installing the Utility to see if there are any ‘settings’ that are causing the drive to shutdown right after power up.

Thanks for the reply.

Hi,

I appreciate that you have performed the troubleshooting steps.

Please contact the WD Technical Support team for best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

Thanks for the help.
It seems that I may be using the drive (shows as My Passport 2626) differently than most people (running all the time from bootup to shutdown rather than attaching after bootup) and, yes, I have another (3 years old) 4TB Passport (shows as My Passport 259D) drive that I use for monthly backups (~6GB) that is only turned on for an hour or so per month as most people probably use their Passports…
Got a ticket open and got two ‘canned’ replies… will see what is suggested next.
Thanks again.