4TB MyCloud - Windows 7 Ultimate File Access Issue

Hi all,

new to this device and used to working within windows 7 interface.

Cannot find a step-by-step solution to the file access issue within this post (Folder permissions)

I’m capable but not massively tech-savvy and these look like command line commands - so patience please :slight_smile:

Basically when I try to move & access files it’s telling me that I need rights to access even though I’m logged in as admin to the mapped drive. Properties is telling me the owner is Unix User\root

Anybody able to guide me here?

Thanks inadvance

Have you read the My Cloud User Manual (https://support.wdc.com/product.aspx?ID=904) to learn about how User and Share permissions are set using the My Cloud Dashboard? Files inherit their permissions from the Share permission setting in the Dashboard.

How are you moving the files? Using what OS?

I think there are a couple of clues in the thread title and second line of the post…

Win 7 Ultimate.

1 Like

Yes, they are linux commands, issued by logging in via SSH. Enable SSH in the Dashboard, then install and run PuTTY, and connect to your mycloud via port 22 of its IP address.

ps. Be careful what you do under SSH, especially logged in as root. ‘With great power comes great responsibility’…

1 Like

SSH enabled.
PuTTY downloaded
Connecting to unit via port 22 - returning a connection refused - yet I can access the WD interface via web browser using the IP

Did you note the password and user? That’s a zero in welc0me…

1 Like

@cpt_paranoia: Ignore - stupid me didn’t configure the SSHD correctly :confounded:
OK, At the root command now?

You should really use the Dashboard to set Public access to shares.

Note that access control cannot be controlled below share level; you cannot change access rights to folders within a share.

Also, don’t forget that Windows is seeing the SMB file server. Not the raw file system. So you don’t have control over access rights from Windows like you do with a simple HDD.

1 Like

I got you.

I’ve chnged to Public yet it’s still telling me that I need access from thekcc\nobody to move a folder?

Try WinSCP. That gives a friendlier file transfer/properties editor, with a file explorer-like GUI.

1 Like

Ok will give that a try. Really appreciate the help. It’s been a while since I played with unix

Hmmm…

cd /shares/thekcc
ls -l

What group and owner does it show?

The stuff I seem to be having issue with is the nobody shares

/shares$ cd /ACR-Files
-sh: cd: line 6: can’t cd to /ACR-Files
/shares$ cd /shares/ACR-Files
/mnt/HD/HD_a2/ACR-Files$ ls -l
drwxr-xr-x 3 nobody share 8192 Apr 10 2015 2013-2014 Irlanda
drwxr-xr-x 5 nobody share 4096 May 6 22:10 2016_Dri’s_Stuff
drwxrwxrwx 5 admin share 4096 Sep 21 21:41 Adrienne
-rwxrwxrwx 1 acr1987 share 4057167581 Sep 19 15:20 BR Canopy Full2017.psb
-rwxrwxrwx 1 acr1987 share 908549890 Sep 20 18:46 BR Canopy Top2017.pdf
drwxrwxrwx 12 admin share 4096 Aug 11 22:50 Fom PC
drwxrwxrwx 15 acr1987 share 4096 Aug 12 01:20 From iMAC
drwxr-xr-x 2 nobody share 4096 Apr 11 16:58 GoPro Projects
drwxr-xr-x 2 nobody share 4096 Aug 6 13:23 MACBOOK FIles
-rwxrwxrwx 1 acr1987 share 109143060 Sep 19 15:01 Marquee_TOPBanner2017.psd
drwxr-xr-x 2 nobody share 4096 Aug 6 14:37 Personal
drwxr-xr-x 2 nobody share 4096 Aug 5 17:18 Print Business
drwxr-xr-x 5 nobody share 4096 Aug 6 14:35 THEKC
drwxr-xr-x 2 nobody share 4096 Aug 6 14:38 negocios da mamae

Doh. Was reading it on my cellphone and missed reading the thread title carefully. :smile:

1 Like

For some reason, the group permissions for ‘nobody’ owned files look a bit screwed up.

‘nobody’ seems to be the owner used by WD to support their access control overlay provided by the Dashboard share access control. But group would normally be rwx, not r-x… I might be tempted to chmod them to recursivly set the group write access. Maybe a job for WinSCP…

It looks like you have two users; admin and acr1987

Usual file permissions are -rwxrwxr-x aka 775 owner/group/everyone. Unless I’ve hacked mine…

Yep, the admin account moved some files into that share.
Using the WinSCP - I can set the ownership in there. You want recursively?
check all boxes for permissions?

Which user account created those ‘nobody’ folders?

I think so. Othewise, you’ll just get the problem next folder down.

1 Like

@cpt_paranoia: I’ve no idea… Absolutely no idea! But this seems to have resolved the issue! You’re a legend!

Well, that’s good, but something’s a bit odd if it’s creating folders with those permissions in the first place…

I might do a 4-second reset; it often clears up oddities like this…

1 Like