4TB My Cloud Review: A disappointment so far

Hey folks I have identical symptoms - reboot (pull plug, wait for 20, replug)  WD MyCloud 4TB  with latest 230 firmware.  Everything will work fine for a while then it will grind to a halt.  The web interface is slow.  Server connections take minutes to display a simple directory listing, or never come back at all.  If you listen to the drive itself, it is grinding constantly and very hot.  Connecting takes minutes and sometimes fails.  Apple Time Machine backups start working but then struggle.  

Some things I tried:  set up a static IP (this seemed to work but I don’t think it really did anything other than give me confidence of what IP address to use)  disable DLNA (this may have actually helped a little)  disable iTunes Library Sharing (i think this might have helped too but not sure)  and finally some things suggested by JosephNG in this thread that so far has appeared to help tremendously.  Server CPU load has dropped and now directory listings come up after only a brief tolerable few seconds lag. 

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/MyCloud-Device-Disconnects-Itself-from-the-Network-Daily/td-p/742978/highlight/false/page/4

JosephNG

login via SSH and type the following two commands 

/etc/rc2.d/./S85wdmcserverd stop

/etc/rc2.d/./S86wdphotodbmergerd stop

My device run very well for more than 3 weeks (except that I cannot view photos from “WD photos” iphone app)