4TB is not recognized on Windows 7

hi, 

I have recently bought a 4TB Black Hard drive but when i tried to conect it via SATA to USB converter it was detected as 1677.90GB, i tried to look around for a solutions as the hard drive should be intilized as GPT but no luck 

can anyone help.

thanks, 

Hello,

Have you tried connecting the drive internally on a desktop computer?

1 Like

I have the same challenge:

"4TB is not recognized on Windows 7

Creative08 wrote:

hi, 

Creative08 wrote:

hi, 

I have recently bought a 4TB Black Hard drive but when i tried to conect it via SATA to USB converter it was detected as 1677.90GB, i tried to look around for a solutions as the hard drive should be intilized as GPT but no luck 

can anyone help.

thanks, 

can anyone help.

thanks, 

I am using a Core2 duo running Windows 7- 32 bit. NTFS, GTP selected in the device manager disc format program. Allocation unit size 4096. I tried ‘format’ from explorer window dropdown, but this also listed only one size option:  1.63 Tb . I tried another machine, same results.

from 2012, I have another , 4Tb WD Black which did, last year, eventually format fully to (near) 4 TB on one volume. I believe I formatted this last year on this same system. I recall some origional issue like this, but I obviously don’t recall the exact solution. 

Thanks for advice.

1 Like

windows is downright horrible when it comes to partitioning and managing disks. Do you and me a favor and grab a linux livecd of GParted. With this, you should be able to properly partition and format your drive. It is pretty straight forward so it shouldnt be much of an issue. Just make sure to select GPT and NTFS.

Also, on a side note: 32bit era is over. Get 64bit windows. The windows key works for both 32bit and 64bit versions!

2 Likes