4TB Elements USB3 drive preventing PC booting

I have just bought a WD Elements 4tb USB3 external drive. Connected to PC and it was usable immediately.

However, after powering off the PC (HP Probook 4540s Windows 8.1 Pro) when I come to power on again the PC sits with it’s 'Hit ESC to enter BIOS message and won’t progress further. Power down and remove WD Elements USB3 cable, power on again and all is well.

Thought it might be BIOS related so removed all devices that could boot except the internall HDD and still the same.

Thinking it might be USB related I hitched up my WD Passport 1tb USB3 external drive (part number WDBACX0010BBK-01) and that works fine, power off PC and power on again whilst attached fine!

It certainly appears to be directly related to the Elements 4tb USB3 unit - any ideas?

Hi and welcome rangioran. I recommend you to disable USB boot option if you have it available, also check if you have the latest BIOS installed for your motherboard.  

Hi jubei04,

As I stated in my original post, I have already disabled USB boot option in BIOS along with all other options apart from internal HDD.

Again, if it were a BIOS issue how come my WD Passport 1tb USB3 drive doesn’t have the same problem?

No, there’s something not right with the Elements 4tb USB3 drive preventing the PC booting.

rangioran wrote:

Hi jubei04,

As I stated in my original post, I have already disabled USB boot option in BIOS along with all other options apart from internal HDD.

Again, if it were a BIOS issue how come my WD Passport 1tb USB3 drive doesn’t have the same problem?

No, there’s something not right with the Elements 4tb USB3 drive preventing the PC booting.

Hi again, I was refering to the option to disable USB ports while the computer is booting up, on most motherboards this option will appear as “USB legacy devices”. 

That might work for a laptop but I am having this problem with a MyBook 4TB USB 3 drive. Disabling legacy USB means that I might never be able to get into the bios again since the keyboard is USB only. From what I’ve read the disable-legacy-USB is extremely dangerous suggestion that also seems to have little chance of actually solving this issue.

There is another section for BOOT ‘order’. It determines what order Windows will process boot drives, For some reason, when I add a new hard drive to my unit it places the new drive first. If it doesn’t have an OS the system stalls.

Look under boot order. You might add your CD/DVD ROM as the first boot device. If you have a bootable CD or DVD in the CD/DVD ROM drive it will ask if you want to boot from it. Place your hard drive 2nd.